oneBoro Forum

Promotion via The Play offs

Ok I am not trying to get blood out of a stone and accept that promotion via the play offs is now set in stone but there has always been debate about the fairness of this means of promotion and certainly covered within the forum previously.

But will pose the question again about how fans feel if their team finishes in 3rd spot and a good deal of points away from those below them only to not get promoted due to a series of two games (if knocked out first time of asking) or by failing to win at Wembley in a play off final.

There is a real possibility that we as Boro fans could well be facing this situation possibly even down to goal difference (as is the case at the moment) at the end of the season.

So will ask hand on heart do you accept that play off is fair or would you want that to be scrapped because it is what you do over a season that should count

I would hate to see Boro finish 3rd way ahead of others only to fall foul of the play offs at the final hurdle and have always felt that position should count and I have always sympathised with those fans that have gone through the lottery of play offs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I love the play offs. Great drama and excitement, and gives something extra for teams to aim for in the division. For some teams, 3rd place is unrealistic and out of reach, but that hope of reaching top 6 is alive for many teams in the league, and is what makes the division so competitive.

That being said, if the scenario arises that you described for us... I would be devestated. But Id be just as devestated if we finish 6th and lost in the playoffs. It wouldnt really make a difference for me.

The comfort provided from having a great chance of making the play offs even if we do drop off a bit in the second half of the season is a fair trade off for the possibility of having to go through the play off lottery.

No need to worry about it, we're going to win the League. :D

In all seriousness though, I will be incredibly nervous throughout if we get into playoffs instead of being automatically promoted. I don't know if I'll be able to watch.

In all seriousness though, I will be incredibly nervous throughout if we get into playoffs instead of being automatically promoted. I don't know if I'll be able to watch.

imagine the last 5-10 minutes of the final if we were 1-0 up and defending as deep as you like, giving away corner after corner :s

think the play-offs are exciting and agree with NB4 that they give teams a realistic aim. i dont think they are fair, but i agree with having them.

Completely see where you are coming from with this Downsouth, it's something I allowed myself to think about after the Hull win.

I would feel a sense of injustice, but preseason I certainly would have been in favour of the playoffs as I didnt expect Boro to be in this position and was hoping by some miracle 6th might be reachable. Also, for a neutral the playoffs are wonderful to watch, but fans of teams like Cardiff & Huddersfield must hate them!

All in all I would like to keep the playoffs and just hope we are not a 'victim' of them.

I think play offs are on the whole unfair. The top 3 should get promotion. Imagine coming 3rd and getting beat by the team that came 6th (ten point behind you in the league) because of a dodgey refs decision??? F**k that.

Yes play offs are exciting money spinners but they are not fair.

Have always thought the top 3 should go up as of right,& 3 come down.4th bottom then play off with 4th 5th & 6th.Similar to Super League.That way is fairer & gives the 4th bottom team chance to remain in Prem.

That said I think we may well go up as runners up,as dear old Shanks used to say "its a marathon,not a sprint".Both Irons & Saints have slipped up & lost points.How will Soton fare if Lambert picks up a injury?Same goes with WHU if Cole falls over again.

This is usually our ***ie part of the season,so if we come out of it virtually unscathed,I think we can go up as of right.

I do think the system in the Super League works. If the top two were automatically promoted with third place playing 3rd bottom in the perm for the spot.

You could also integrate the playoffs into that.. have them made up of the 2nd + 3rd in the championship against 2nd + 3rd last in prem...

Seems a bit complicated after having read it through.. I dunno, at the end of the day the rules are set out before the competition starts so every club knows what they need to achieve to get promoted so you can't really complain..

I'm completely in favour of the playoffs. There are probably fairer systems that could be implemented, but the playoffs offer fantastic excitement and tension - and at the end of the day that's what sport's all about. I'm also totally in favour of the lesser Championship teams getting a shot at Premier League football ie. those more likely to compete for 6th then the top few positions. It shakes things up a little which in my opinion is great for the sport and great for the fans.

playoffs may not be the definition of fair...but hey, life isn't!

for the excitement factor alone i rate it.

i lived and played in oz for a number of years and they adopt a system where for instance the 3rd place finisher in the championship would play a one off playoff against the 3rd bottom finisher in the top tier to identify who would play where the following season.....created massive interest!

I do think the system in the Super League works. If the top two were automatically promoted with third place playing 3rd bottom in the perm for the spot.

You could also integrate the playoffs into that.. have them made up of the 2nd + 3rd in the championship against 2nd + 3rd last in prem...

Seems a bit complicated after having read it through.. I dunno, at the end of the day the rules are set out before the competition starts so every club knows what they need to achieve to get promoted so you can't really complain..

Not too disimilar to the way we went up against Chelsea under Bruce. 3rd played 4th for right to play 3rd bottom on the then first divison. It was an awesome way to go up and enjoyed every minute of the game at Stamford Bridge (well not quite ture the 80 odd minutes which Pat Nevin seemed to be running at us were terrifying). Well I enjoyed the after game party at least!!!

Oh and are play-offs fair - of course not. But when I started going to the match in 1970 we always seemed to be top half of the table but never close enough to the top two and the season was effectively over at Christmas. I would not want to go back to that.

The play-offs are garbage but it generates money and it at least keeps the season alive for more than 3 teams.

Presonally I would prefer to see 3rd & 4th in the Championship play 3rd & 4th bottom of the Premiership for the right for promotion/relegation. That way at least you would know that the team coming up (if they win) probably deserves it.

I personally think the play offs are brilliant. Imagine how crap the.league would be if only position 1,2,3 meant anything. They usually produce some of the best football of the season and art the engd of the day provide hope to clubs who would otherwise have average season after average season. Saying that id be damn nervous if we got into them, just one off performance and your season is over.

I agree with Air Resistance the Play Offs keep the excitement going throughout the season and as proven over the past few years the 3rd placed team rarely wins promotion showing how wide open they are. It also reduces the number of dead rubber games towards the end of the season.

Well you have hit the nail on the head there 3rd place rarely wins and as others have said I hope we are not victim to that situation.:-/