oneBoro Forum

The squad for next season

[align=justify]Who deserves to keep their place in the squad next season?

As this season has fizzled out more or less and with the changes implemented by Karanka, I ask who out of our current squad deserves to be here next season. Or who would be a useful asset to keep hold of.

Green means keep, Red means get rid. Blue to leave the first team but remain as part of the coaching staff. I left out the youth players as truth be told I dont know much about them.

Goal Keepers

1 Steele

13 Konstantopoulos

32 Leutwiler

35 Mejias Osorio

4 keepers is ridiculous.

Defenders

3 Friend

4 Williams Injury prone

15 Hines Not good enough

21 Parnaby Not good enough

22 Gibson

25 Omeruo

26 Ayala

39 Woodgate Coaching Role

Midfielders

6 Butterfield Doesnt suit the sytem

7 Leadbitter

8 Varga

11 Ledesma

18 Whitehead

19 Carayol Injury in my opinion will hinder his game

24 Chalobah

27 Adomah

Halliday Not good enough

Forwards

9 Graham Terrible

10 Tomlin

14 Williams

23 Main Not good enough

29 Kamara Not good enough

[/align]

What do people think? Who would you change / add / replace in that squad?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Think neither of Varga or Graham will be part of the squad next season. Varga is fine, but there's definitely better out there, probably cheaper too. Graham would cost too much for what he is.

I think we'll be back in for both Chalobah and Omeruo again. Omeruo in particular would mean our CB position will be sorted and Chalobah over the course of a whole season will show his worth imo.

I'd consider selling Steele and Leadbitter. Steele because he doesn't seem to be in AKs plans and Leadbitter because he would fetch a couple of million and he doesn't bring enough thrust in his position in our system. His role is supposed to be moving the ball from a defensive position to an attacking one and he doesn't do it often enough.

L Williams will go at the end of his contract, as will Parnaby and Richardson. Leut and Konstantopulous possibly as well. Main will possibly go out on loan as AK does seem to see something in him and I don't think Kamara will be going anywhere, doubt there'll be any interest (wrong age, average season etc). Halliday's a tough one, I think he's done ok at Blackpool and he is still young. I personally would keep him on but I think he'll go. I hope we keep Smallwood.

Emnes and Juke will be gone, hopefully raising a few million in the process.

That'll leave us with -

GK - Osario, Ripley

LB - Friend

CB - Woodgate, Williams, Ayala, Omeruo, Gibson (How strong is that?)

RB - ??

CM - Chalobah, Butterfield, Smallwood, Whitehead

AM - Tomlin, Carayol, Adomah, Ledesma, Reach

CF - Kamara

It's a really threadbare squad when you look at it. A RB (williams and Omeruo can cover injuries) and cover for LB should be high on the priorities. One more CM with a bit more guile. At least one attacking midfielder and two strikers also needed. A back up GK may be needed if we get shot of all three. At least 7 players needed to be brought in, plus one or two more for cover. It's going to be very busy!

You say that Butterfield doesn't suit the system but I'm absolutely convinced he COULD suit the system if you play him as a CM.

I suppose the issue then is we don't have two defensive minded CM like we're currently operating with.

I think Meijas will be back next year.

Steele will be gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grant go, Carayol and AA too. Graham won't be back.

If we can get Chalobah and Omeruo back it'd be awesome and I hope the rumours of Thorgan Hazard turn out to be true as well.

GK

Would like to see us keep TM for another season and renew dimis contract for him to be his back up, steele will be sold, let leutwiler go and send ripley out on loan again

Defence

Hope we keep Omeruo for another season, obviously ayala and gibson will still be here and woodgate too, they are 4 top quality CBs for this league, need a RB. varga isnt bad but we will have to pay 800k to sign him, Omeruo can cover the RB slot, need a back up LB though

Midfield

hope we can keep Chalobah, smallwood will be back, im sure whitehead will still be here, can see us selling leadbitter if we get a decent price, need a new CM though

Tomlin and butterfield are fine for the number 10 role

Can see carayol and AA leaving in the summer, hope we keep them both though, still could do with another left sided player as kamara should be a striker

Forwards

Get rid of graham and main, a new striker is #1 priority though with kamara as back up

I think it's unlikely we'll keep those three keepers and at the moment Steele seems the most likely to go, which will be more than a shame in my opinion as I believe he's better than all of them and has the potential to be comfortably better than either of the other two.

The two loans from Chelsea will depend in part on what Chelsea want to do with them but I don't see either of them as being good enough for Chelsea's first team so it would surprise me to see them stay there. Varga I'm not really sure about. Karanka would appear to rate him better than anything else we have but whether he would want him permanently is a different matter. Graham would have to take a substantial pay cut to come here again I think and that's even if we want him, which I've never been convinced about.

The squad could easily be thinned out but it's about who we can bring in to replace them. At the back we could ship out Parnaby, Hines, Williams, Richardson and probably Woodgate without having lost a great deal - Woody because of the number of games he'll play and the others because I just don't think they offer much. Williams has in the past but it seems an awful long time ago now.

In midfield I think it would depend on what Karanka wants to do and what interest there is in our players. Leadbitter will probably get interest again but whether Karanka would want to cash in on it I really don't know. Whitehead will probably stay, Butterfield maybe but it's a waste of time playing him where we've been playing him most of the time as it just isn't his position. Carayol will be staying unless he recovers from his injury before the start of next season. Adomah and Ledesma could easily go especially if what Hignett was saying at this Supporters Club event is true as those players clearly aren't doing what is being asked. Halliday is someone I'm surprised is still even here.

The strikers could easily all be sold. Main isn't up to it and neither is Kamara other than as a third choice type squad player perhaps. Juke is scoring goals now so that might lead to some interest in him and we may well look to cash in on him.

By my reckoning that's about 12 players we could easily be looking to move on.

Big difference between what i would do in a perfect world and what i think will happen because much will depend on shifting players who are on decent wages but aren't that good. Also AK is a pro and I'm not so he will hopefully do better than what i would do.

Anyway, this is what i would do:

Jason Steele

Dimi

Connor Ripley

George Friend

-(right back)-

Kenneth omerou

Ben gibson

Rhys Williams

Christian burgess

Jonathan woodgate

-(left winger)-

Lee Tomlin

Albert adomah

-(no. 10 who can play on the wings)-

Jacob Butterfield

Emmanuel ledesma

Grant leadbitter

Nathaniel chalobah

Richard smallwood

-(centre forward)-

-(centre forward)-

Curtis main

Explanations

Reallyy close between keeping varga and not but hopefully we can find someone who offers more going forward

Keeping Rhys in the hope that we can get a bigger fee after he has a great 14/15 injury free

Recalling burgess so he can do seb Hines job on less wage

Again hard decision about Carayol but if we can get 2+ million for him i would take it. He might not be the same player after the injury

Keeping adomah because he was fantastic earlier in the season. When in form he has the potential to add vital goals.

Keeping butterfield hoping he has a decent season and we can recoup the fee we payed for him

Ledesma will probably pop up at a difficult time and grab some really important goals like he has done for the last two seasons. We will be paying him next to nothing which is a bonus

Recalling Smallwood because imo he can do Whiteheads job for less money

Getting rid of graham because he clearly isn't the answer sadly

I would loan out luke Williams (giving him a year contract with the option of another year), Adam reach & Bryn Morris hoping they'll break through in 15/16.

Emnes and juke could raise 3.5m between them so with carayol also going that would give us a nice pot of cash to play with

Release (Contracts Expire);

Ripley, Leutwiler, Parnaby, Varga, Graham & Richardson

Undecided Potential Releases (Contracts Expire);

Dolan, Smallwood, Wyke, Burgess, Sirrell & L.Williams.

Offload (Perm/Loans);

Hines, Emnes, Jutkiewicz, Park & Main.

Undecided;

Mejias & Brobbel - contracts expire, but don't know enough about either.

Halliday & Reach - contracts still running, but might be worth loaning out again.

Remaining Definitive Squad With Some Loan Extensions;

GK: Steele, Konstantonopoulos.

CB: Omeruo, Ayala, Gibson, Woodgate, Williams.

LB: Friend.

CM: Leadbitter, Chalobah, Whitehead, Morris.

AM: Tomlin, Adomah, Carayol, Butterfield, Ledesma.

ST: Kamara.

Essential Additions;

(1) Right back.

(2) Striker.

(3) Attacking Midfielder.

First Team;

--------------- Steele ---------------

-- ????? - Omeruo - Ayala - Friend --

------- Leadbitter - Chalobah --------

--- Adomah --- Tomlin --- ????? ----

---------------- ????? ---------------

You all seem certain that Chalobah and Omeruo will be here next season? I don't think it's that certain. Chalobah will have been in the Championship for two years and Omeruo has also played in the Eredivise, so you can forgive them for having bigger ambitions than playing for a mid table championship club.

Don't get me wrong, I would really like them both to stay next season, but we will probably have to rely heavily on friendly favours instead of the players own wishes, because there will cetainly be interest in them both.

I'm very much with Borodane on that one. People have them in their squads as if it is a foregone conclusion and unless I've missed something then that's not exactly the case. Possibly just wishful thinking on everyone's behalf but it maybe likely that a promoted Premier League team will look to take them on?

Who said that retaining Omeruo and Chalobah was a foregone conclusion? This thread is about who 'deserves' to keep their place and our ideal squads going into next season. They might stay. They might not. I, like many, hope that they do.

I was just wondering whether there had been any indication that the might be here, since everyone had them in their squad. I too would love to see them here, but I doubt it will happen.

I was just wondering whether there had been any indication that the might be here, since everyone had them in their squad. I too would love to see them here, but I doubt it will happen.

Likewise. I'd love to see them here and I thought i'd missed someone with everyone having them in our squads for next season.

Ultimately, it's not up to us whether they are here or not next season, so having them in our projected squads is slightly myopic based on the fact that it's not set in stone. If you're including them in squads for next season then that leaves your squad entirely open to interpretation as to recruits we might/might not bring in and isn't indicative of our exact situation.

I think we have a realistic chance. They'll want first team football, they'll get that here, AK has already seen (and probably liked) what they offer, they won't break into the Chelsea team, and Mourinho might see Boro as a good building block for their careers for one more season.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Didnt Mourinho say somewhere that he wanted to keep players out on loan at the same clubs for a few years in a row because the lack of consistency in coaching and systems hinders their development? Then again, I may have totally made that up.