oneBoro Forum

What did Ian Holloway actually say about Karanka?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Without doing much research, I'm sure it was a throw away comment about some people getting a job in football because they've know Jòse Murinhio for 20 mins

“If I had a fair crack at being a Premier League boss, with a budget as good as some, I believe I could do it. I am not one of these foreign fellas who gets a job just because he has known Jose Mourinho for 10 minutes or met him on a train,”

That's funny ian, because another British manager replaced you and transformed the team without spending a penny.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/453017/Ian-Holloway-ready-for-ride-of-his-life-at-Millwall

“If I had a fair crack at being a Premier League boss, with a budget as good as some, I believe I could do it. I am not one of these foreign fellas who gets a job just because he has known Jose Mourinho for 10 minutes or met him on a train,”

That's funny ian, because another British manager replaced you and transformed the team without spending a penny.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/453017/Ian-Holloway-ready-for-ride-of-his-life-at-Millwall

What an absolute tool! I've never liked the guy, I hope we beat them on Saturday and they go on to get relegated. That's what Millwall deserve and that's what he deserves!

I like holloway but why would he say this, he has no connection to Karanka or Boro at all, unless he wanted the job after mogga perhaps?

How does he expect most managers get their first jobs, Karanka worked his way up, he worked with Spanish youth teams then went on to be an assistant then made the step up to be manager.

God there are some sensitive souls on here, aren't they? If it's not imagining slights by former players it's people getting worked up about something like this. It doesn't mention Karanka and based on the first 12 words of his quote I'd suggest his comments were directed elsewhere as he's clearly talking about why he isn't seen as a Premier League manager. In fact it's pretty obvious who he is talking about specifically there.

By the way, the British manager that transformed his old team is the same one that almost all of this forum was aghast about at the thought of him becoming our manager. We dodged a real bullet there didn't we...

I liked Holloway before but the comments clearly relating to Karanka has made him come across as bitter and disrespectful to Karanka. He's a strange character who sees himself as this maverick underdog that doesn't get the acknowledgement he thinks he deserves so he will be bitter towards someone like Karanka who has learned from one of the worlds best managers.

I'd hope it's just a throw away comment that was meant as a laugh like he regularly says.

He is clearly talking about karanka because he said it when karanka was favorite to take over at palace. It really doesn't take a lot to put 2 and 2 together here and actually get 4. It was a poor dig at someone he doesn't know. He could have said so much else but that "knowing mourinho for 10 mins" was as patronizing as it gets.

He is clearly talking about karanka because he said it when karanka was favorite to take over at palace. It really doesn't take a lot to put 2 and 2 together here and actually get 4. It was a poor dig at someone he doesn't know. He could have said so much else but that "knowing mourinho for 10 mins" was as patronizing as it gets.

What are you talking about? Honestly the last two days has lead me to question the sanity of some of you.

- The comments were made in January, over two months after Karanka was linked to the Palace job.

- Why would he care if Karanka was linked with the Palace job anyway? He wasn't sacked he chose to leave the club.

The comments aren't about Karanka lads. He's obviously talking about AVB walking into the Spurs job after being sacked at Chelsea. He says it right there where he specifically mentions having a fair crack at the Premier League and having a budget as good as some. In what way does that relate to Karanka exactly? None.

If you're going to criticise people for what they've said at least consider the context of what is being said.

So its irrelevant to the karanka situation because it was 2 months apart whereas its relevent to avb which happened a lot longer than that before it? Crazy logic.

And holloway was clearly pushed, you can see it in his bitterness.

Also, avb had a lot of success in portugal before moving to england to manage so although he worked under mourinho none of the quotes seem related to him at all so im not sure where youre getting that conclusion from.

So its irrelevant to the karanka situation because it was 2 months apart whereas its relevent to avb which happened a lot longer than that before it? Crazy logic.

And holloway was clearly pushed, you can see it in his bitterness.

Another person that can't read properly.

Did I actually say it's irrelevant because it's 2 months later? I believe I mentioned it was 2 months later in response to Borodane claiming that Holloway made the remarks at the time that Karanka was linked to the Palace job. This is simply incorrect.

Why it is irrelevant is because he's talking about getting what he sees as a fair crack at the Premier League with a decent budget, which oddly enough is exactly what he says right before the comment that has everyone irate. The only manager that it can be directed to is AVB, who failed with a nice big budget at Chelsea and then walked into another big budget job at Spurs and had been sacked only three weeks beforehand.

The journalist will have asked him a question along the lines of whether he was concerned about being seen as a Championship standard manager that couldn't cut it in the Premier League and his reply to that will have been the quote:

'If I had a fair crack at being a Premier League boss, with a budget as good as some, I believe I could do it. I am not one of these foreign fellas who gets a job just because he has known Jose Mourinho for 10 minutes or met him on a train'

Unless you're calling Ian Holloway a liar then I'd suggest he wasn't pushed at all. Same goes for the Palace Chairman who I can remember at the time stating categorically that it was Holloway's decision. I'm sure he would have been binned sooner rather than later though as they were going heading straight down unfortunately.

I admire CT trying to dismiss everything that anyone says to defend them and make it sound like everyone criticising them is overreacting and getting things wrong.

No, not everyone by any means. I seem to remember a number of people agreeing with me yesterday and I agreed with them.

It's just people that are clearly overly sensitive or seem unable to put what people say into any kind of context. Occasionally it's people that get annoyed about something someone has said when they don't actually know what he said at all. I do dismiss that kind of thing as it's pretty foolish.

In this case, people are taking the Mourinho link and assuming it's meant about Karanka when Holloway is clearly talking about the Premier League and we and Karanka aren't actually there. Yet.

But yes perhaps he's really just bitter about Karanka not getting Palace job two months earlier. I'm always bitter about people that don't get my old jobs. It just eats me up inside. Grrrrrrrrr :@