oneBoro Forum

Squad Size

Thought id post this outside the transfer thread but its been discussed many time there. There seems to be a lot of fans out there who think we are currently weaker as we have a smaller squad than we did last season and that we need to replace the likes of chalobah... Personally id like us to have a smaller squad and actually see the likes of smallwood, Williams, reach and Morris get chances. Id be interested in peoples views on what other signing they think we need going into the season. At the moment i think the squad is roughly as follows...

gk: Steele, majeas, dimi, rippley

rb: Atkinson

cb: woodgate, big ken, Gibson, ayala, hines, williams

lb: friend (husband)

cm: Leadbitter, whitehead, smallwood, butterfield, morris

am/wingers: adomah, carayol, ledesma, reach, williams, Halliday

strikers: kike, Tomlin, kamara, main, fewster

If Main, Kamara and Hines leave, that'll leave the size as 25.

If we're expecting Bamford to come in, that'll be 26. I'd imagine 2 more signings will come in at least, bringing it back to 28.

I'd be happy with that size. Players such as Ripley, Atkinson, Fewster and Morris will be more in the youth teams rather than main first teamers, but probably still on the fringes.

I am happy to see a smaller squad but obviously we need additions (Right back, Striker, Centre mid) and there will be one or two players leaving the club *cough* kamara *cough*

I also think there will be less players going out on loan this season that you would usually expect such as Williams or Reach. This is a bonus because we finally get to see how they have come on whilst out on loan.

As I see it.

One of our Goal keepers need to leave permanently, 4 is too many. So probably Steele? Will also help to purchase our right back/striker?

Also, we need to lose Hines, Kamara, Main and one of our attacking mids. Probably Luke Williams?

I think Morris will go out on Loan. Fewster too or he will most likely return to youth team/reserves.

I reckon the in comings will make up the squad size Karanka wants. To be fair still a lot of business to be done. We do not have a balanced squad though. Be interesting to see what does happen.

Agree with the majority of what johnhorse wrote, but I still think we need Luke Williams. He's a good player, and still only 21..plenty of time to improve further! Like Karanka has put it, he just needs to continue working hard to develop his game. His potential is there for everyone to see. I'm looking forward to seeing him and Adam Reach more often this season.

Think we need to shift dean whitehead also and get someone fresher

I would also like to see the squad smaller than last season it would certainly help the club out with extra funds, but will it work in todays game in the top two leagues. So many players travelling all over the globe for friendly match's also international competitions so these players will be away sometimes for weeks on end and clubs like Boro need cover . I suppose in a perfect world with no injuries we could manage with a smaller squad but when we have so many foreign players I am not so sure.

Didn't AK say that he wanted to work with a squad of about 23? So...

Dimi mejias steele

Friend husband

A.N Other atkinson*

Omeruo, woody (semi retired), Ayala, Williams, Gibson

Leadbitter whitehead Smallwood butters

Adomah, ledesma, crayola, tomlin, Williams*,

Kike, main/kamara, A.N. Other

Sell/loan;

Ripley or steele

Burgess, Hines, halliday, Morris, reach, fewster, main or kamara (or both :))

*loan if players in their position are brought in.

That's my squad of 23.5 - I'd love to see more of the youth in and around the 1st team but I'm going with what I'm expecting over what I'd like to see.