oneBoro Forum

Captain Fantastic

Ok I have moaned many times about Boro seemingly being dereft of a on field Captain that does what a Captain should do.

I agree with prowler that AK seems to follow the Spanish format of giving it to a "senior player"

However I am old school and like to see a Captain who leads by example and does not shy away from giving his own team mates a roasting when needed.

Some folks have mentioned young Gibson but there is the drawback because he is "young"

With all that could soon be following who in your opinion is best suited to be the regular Captain and personally I do not think we should rely too much on Williams and Woodgate.

Sticking my neck out but for me it has to be George Friend moving ahead

Leadbitter though a pivitol player for Boro does not strike me as the type of player and leader of men we need. I often nearly fall sleep listening to his interviews!!!

You need a man that takes on a role with gusto!

At present Leadbitter is decent enough. I think George would be a good pick as well as he sets a great example to the club on and off the pitch plus he has secured his future with us so is a good long term candidate. Gibson if he shines this season I think he is capable of doing the role to a very high standard next season. They are the 3 candidates for me.

Vossen gets my vote :P

Doesnt seem to be anything wrong with leadbitter, he is always vocal on the pitch which is a positive for a captain, seems very passionate too, I know what you mean about his interviews though ds

For me it's a mix up between Leadbitter and Friend. Both have been here a number of seasons, both good experienced championship players and both very passionate and vocal on the pitch. I personally would stick with Leadbitter as I see no reason to change it. Woody should theoretically be captain, but due to injuries and competition there is no guarantee that he'll start even half our games (heck maybe not even a quarter).

I don't think you can take any notice of interviews. Robbo was captain marvel but dreadful even in his starring role in Jossies Giants.

Some teams need more captaining than others and different types of leadership. I think one of my favourite captaincy displays was Andy Peake away at Sheffield Wednesday when we got beaten. He talked the kids through that game.

Good captains aren't the same. There's no set characteristics.

I don't think any of the current players could make a captain anywhere near as effective as ince, robson, pearson etc, no one seems to have that type of character. Looking at the reading match only friend attempted to get the fans more behind the team, would love to see a quality deep holding beast of a captain midfielder to marshal the team and give them some belief when the chips are down. Can't think of any player that fits the profile though, any suggestions?

Regardless of how he comes across in interviews, leadbitter has always been the visible leader on the pitch since we signed him. I'm more than happy for him woody and friend to do it between them. Much better than Williams disaster period.