oneBoro Forum

Boro V Liverpool (A) League Cup 2-2 13-14 Penalties

Liverpool v Middlesbrough  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Liverpool v Middlesbrough

[align=center](WLWLL) Liverpool v Middlesbrough (LLWWW)

Capital One Cup

Anfield

23/09/14

17:45[/align]

Bx--NFlIIAAStBf.jpg

Introduction

Another game, another win, another goal from Leadbitter. Its becoming a recurring theme these days. After a near perfect performance against Brentford we move onto the big one, or is it? Do we care about the cup this season or are we fully focused on the league?

Match Preview

With a slightly changed squad we totally outclassed Brentford on saturday. Goals for Leadbitter, Adomah, Bamford and Kike saw us ease to a comfortable 4-0 win. We go into this league cup fixture on the back of three fantastic wins and full of confidence.

Both teams will play a changed squad, we have Blackman, Husband, Wildschut etc who need game time and could possibly be involved at some point on Tuesday. Its the sort of ground that every player wants to play at though so it will be interesting to see what team AK puts out.

Last 5 Games

20/09 Boro 4-0 Brentford

16/09 Cardiff 0-1 Boro

13/09 Huddersfield 1-2 Boro

30/08 Boro 0-1 Reading

23/08 Boro 2-3 Sheff Wed

Liverpool have had a fairly average start to the season after letting the league title slip last season (see what I did there) With Champions league football this season they are expected to fully utilise their large squad so expect changes for this one.

They clearly have a fantastic squad that should easily beat us but they have been less than impressive in the last few weeks, they have Everton on Saturday then a big Champions league game at Basel next Tuesday so this one will probably be their least priority.

Last 5 Games

20/09 West Ham 3-1 Liverpool

16/09 Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad

13/09 Liverpool 0-1 Aston Villa

31/08 Spurs 0-3 Liverpool

25/08 Man City 3-1 Liverpool

View from the opposition

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/

Who do you see as Boros biggest threat (or have you heard of any of our players)

- our goalkeeper Mingolet( if he plays)!!! no seriously, probably Kike.

- Can't look past the captain, Grant Leadbitter. Good midfielder who has a goal in him.

- Haven't really watched any boro games this season.

- Ravanelli and Juninho

- Skrtel and Mignolet

What sort of team will Liverpool put out for this?

- we'll probably put out our fringe players.

- Weakened with the exception of a few starters. I would expect: Jones, Manquillo, Toure, Sakho, Enrique, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Borini, Markovic, Lambert.

- Reserves and subs, and possibly coutinho.

- There will be a few changes, Rickie Lambert should start

- With the derby coming up, a weak one

Are you bothered about the league cup this season?

- I'd like to give the league cup a go this year.

- Most aren't, I am. Would love to see us lift a trophy this year and realistically, can't see it being anything other than the League Cup, considering our start.

- No its a good competition for our young lads to get some senior minutes under their belt. Im sure were gonna give it go this year.

- It's obviously 4th in our list of priorities but it would be nice to do well in a competition we've won more than any one else

- Not really. Need a good performance though

How do you see the game going?

- I see the game being a mind numbing 2-1 win for us........ just.

- Nervy, as per usual. Struggle to see how we will keep a clean sheet when we keep changing around the personnel, so I'll go for 2-1 to us.

- Could go either way, if boro play their starters they could cause some problems but its hard to say. Im predicting a narrow 1-0 to liverpool.

- 3-1 to Liverpool

- 2-1 Liverpool AET

Talking Points

The likes of Nsue, Fredericks, Gibbo and Bamford came into the squad for Saturday and all staked a claim to start in this one, Kike came off the bench to score too so its going to be difficult to decide who to leave out. It all depends on how much AK values this competition though. Blackman must have been promised game time to come here so expect him to start in goal. Friend could be rested too after playing pretty much every minute so far

---------------Blackman------------

Fredericks--Gibson--Omerou--Friend

----Clayton---Leadbitter:heart:----

Nsue-------Tomlin--------Reach

----------------Kike---------------

Would have been a good game to play Whitehead with us probably being on the back foot for long periods, cant now for obvious reasons though. Nsue deserves another start with either Reach or Adomah playing on the left.

- When can we expect Leadbitters first England cap?

- Why hasn't Leadbitter had an England cap?

- #leadbitterforengland

- Scholes or Leadbitter?

- Sorry Prowler :P

Enjoy the game :)

*Stream for the game

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=281214&part=sports

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Could benefit from a Liverpool team who have looked a bit shaky recently. I'd be happy for us just to put in a good performance though.

Would like to see Wildschut given a bit of game time too.

Think I'll go 2-1 either way.

I keep forgetting to say this but I wanted to say a big well done to everyone that does these match threads. Pretty much without exception they're all excellent.

Genuinely think we'll win, we have nothing to lose whereas Liverpool will be under immense pressure after their poor showing at West Ham. Would love it if Leadbitter scores a thunderb****** in front of the Kop

Think this will be a good game but can only see Lpool wining, but they will have to play for it.

2-1 with Kike to score for us.

-When can we expect Leadbitters first England cap?

Next international break

- Why hasn't Leadbitter had an England cap?

Corruption.

UTB

Definitely think we should/will look to play a strong team. Certainly 4-2-3-1.

Dimi, Freddy, Omeruo, Gibson, Friend, Leadbitter, Whitehead, Vossen and Kike should be nailed on in my opinion. Question marks over who will start on the wings though. Good case can be made for starting Reach and Adomah, though I'd be fine with the same Adomah and Nsue combo as before. What I wouldn't do in this one though is start Tomlin on the left or give Wildschut his starting debut.

Genuinely wouldn't rule us out of getting a result. Though naturally you have to make Liverpool strong favourites, regardless of the CL wedged around this game, their injuries and their poor form. Think the key is to take them on on the break but be brave when doing so. It's unlikely that we'll be able to contrain the likes of Lallana, Lambert and co (assuming they are the ones to start) for 90+ minutes, but that defence of theirs is very very leaky. And probably low in confidence.

Oh, and please please PLEASE let us see Jones get a start. Then my optimism going into this one will well and truly be through that roof.

If I were Karanka then I'd use this game to try out a strong attacking team - the scousers will put out a 2nd string and with their waning confidence they could be there for the taking! I think a 1-2 Boro win! Come on Boro!!!

Definitely think we should/will look to play a strong team. Certainly 4-2-3-1.

Dimi, Freddy, Omeruo, Gibson, Friend, Leadbitter, Whitehead, Vossen and Kike should be nailed on in my opinion. Question marks over who will start on the wings though. Good case can be made for starting Reach and Adomah, though I'd be fine with the same Adomah and Nsue combo as before. What I wouldn't do in this one though is start Tomlin on the left or give Wildschut his starting debut.

Genuinely wouldn't rule us out of getting a result. Though naturally you have to make Liverpool strong favourites, regardless of the CL wedged around this game, their injuries and their poor form. Think the key is to take them on on the break but be brave when doing so. It's unlikely that we'll be able to contrain the likes of Lallana, Lambert and co (assuming they are the ones to start) for 90+ minutes, but that defence of theirs is very very leaky. And probably low in confidence.

Oh, and please please PLEASE let us see Jones get a start. Then my optimism going into this one will well and truly be through that roof.

Whitehead is suspended, Clayton nailed on. Ill probably be in the massive minority here, but i think id rather us win this game than the Charlton one, i know league is priority, but i can just see a couple of teams from outside the prem making the semi's the way the draw has panned out. If we were to win there would be a maximum of 8 premier league teams in the next round, providing theres no upsets, and theres almost always 1 or 2, so there could literally be about 6 premier league teams left in for the 4th round.

is it true that coutinho is juninho's cousin?

and i think i must be the only boro fan that doesn't want jones to play for them - he's guaranteed to have a blinder after the stick he got from us.

going to this so hoping for a win but expecting a narrow defeat

is it true that coutinho is juninho's cousin?

and i think i must be the only boro fan that doesn't want jones to play for them - he's guaranteed to have a blinder after the stick he got from us.

going to this so hoping for a win but expecting a narrow defeat

According to Liverpool's website, Yes!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/139030-simon-steers-no-10-now-our-focal-point