oneBoro Forum

A Noticable and Encouraging difference

In line with the squad thread recently put up comparing last season and this thought this would make interesting reading.

This time last season after 8 games we had a total of 8 points from 1 win and 5 draws and 1 defeat.

This season 5 wins and 3 defeats with a total of 15 points.

What a difference it makes when you draw so many games though I wish some of the defeats this season could have been draws (certainly Leeds springs to mind)

Early days I know and some of the more sensible and realistic forum members will impart words of wisdom about not getting carried away and the old chestnut about our usual Christmas/New year form BUT there is a real and noticeable and encouraging difference so far from all things bright and boroful.:D

We still haven't beaten anyone ranked higher than Brentford (ranked 15th atm) thus far. I think this sat is going to be the litmus test for me. But then again we didn't have dimi in goal when we lost all those matches so I am optimistic! Last season is a blur. My memory can only go as far back as when dimi started in goal three games ago. :)

It's such an unusual feeling to be the Championship team getting all the plaudits this weekend. A lot have people seem to have a lot to say about our team and the way we're playing.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29692/9483889/fl72-blog-keith-andrews-on-bournemouth-middlesbrough-and-mk-dons

I'm still cautiously optimistic but it's hard to not get excited. The truth is that we do look a very strong side this season. Not just because the strength, depth and quality in the squad but I really feel this season there is a real togetherness in the team. It feels like it's not just the fans who are excited but the players too.

No one is getting carried away but if we keep playing like this then I believe promotion beckons, dare I say it? Automatic promotion...

We still haven't beaten anyone ranked higher than Brentford (ranked 15th atm) thus far. I think this sat is going to be the litmus test for me. But then again we didn't have dimi in goal when we lost all those matches so I am optimistic! Last season is a blur. My memory can only go as far back as when dimi started in goal three games ago. :)

You're called ph, you have a rep of 7 and you're talking about a litmus test. Well played! :D

As we are all Boro fans I agree it hard not to get excited, however we are all waiting for the Boro of old to resurface it's ulgy head. Hopefully this year we will be hard to beat, with Dimi in goal and a sturdy defense, a even more fierce attacking third with bags of talent to pick from the only thing which may impede our success is as it is every season, Damia is a prime example, is injuries! If we can keep the core system which I now believe is going to be 4-4-2 after Saturday well stocked with rotation and rested players, who knows playoffs could be really achievable, dare we dream automatic promotion?

You're called ph, you have a rep of 7 and you're talking about a litmus test. Well played! :D

This tickled me. Very clever. :D

The seeds are definately there to see and the roots i believe are certainly taking shape very nicely indeed (after years of square pegs in round holes coupled with overpaid underwelming, disinterested or just plain sicknotes)

Karanka is the best thing to happen to Boro for a very long time however we are still in the very very early stages of developement with an inexperienced manager.

The future is looking good for a promotion push just not this season its just too early IMHO.

Badger in Asia

Lets see where we are come Christmas. Its easy to carried away after a performance like that especially this early in the season. Ive watched the Boro for far too many years to get carried away just yet. Fingers crossed we're within touching distance of the top two come Jan.

ooh no, ph7, I hope this doesn't mean we r going to draw this Sat!

Would personally say the most telling time is after Christmas. How often do we see teams have a great start, only to fall away after the traditional Boxing Day games?

It's often the sides who start the New Year with a bang that end up with the prize money at the end of the season. Traditionally, we've faded after Xmas in my life time - but with the squad strength and depth as it is now, I'm more confident about our ability to sustain runs of form throughout the campaign.