oneBoro Forum

Did we miss out?

Recent transfer windows and our search and speculation as to various strikers coming to Boro threw up names like RM, Becchio, Nahki Wells, that chap that went to Bournemouth, Danny Graham and maybe one or two others whose names escape me got me thinking.

Did we really miss out at all?

With our current strike force would any of the above have been better suited playing in a Boro shirt?

I certaintly will never foget the RM fiasco and how we seem to have been used but I think we dodged a bullet?

Thoughts??????

Championship Top Scorers

1 Britt Assombalonga Nottingham Forest 8

2 Grant Leadbitter Middlesbrough 6

3 Lewis Grabban Norwich City 5

3 Cameron Jerome Norwich City 5

3 Igor Vetokele Charlton Athletic 5

3 Jamie Ward Derby County 5

4 Michail Antonio Nottingham Forest 4

4 Simon Cox Reading 4

4 Enrique Garcia Martinez Middlesbrough 4

4 Rudy Gestede Blackburn Rovers 4

4 Kenwyne Jones Cardiff City 4

4 Joe Mason Bolton Wanderers 4

4 Callum McManaman Wigan Athletic 4

4 Jordan Rhodes Blackburn Rovers 4

4 Callum Wilson AFC Bournemouth 4

5 Christophe Berra Ipswich Town 3

5 Troy Deeney Watford 3

5 Fernando Forestieri Watford 3

5 Ben Marshall Blackburn Rovers 3

5 Chris Martin Derby County 3

5 Stevie May Sheffield Wednesday 3

5 Daryl Murphy Ipswich Town 3

5 Bakary Sako Wolverhampton Wanderers 3

6 Almen Abdi Watford 2

6 Mirco Antenucci Leeds United 2

Two in the top 4 for Boro.... So I would say at this moment in time no. :)

Though Assombalonga does look decent. Don't think thats relevant though as I did not see us linked with him.

Some of those mentioned are not playing in the Championship as far as I am aware, so it is hard to judge. As I did think Becchio and Wells might have offered something.

But all in all. I am satisfied with what we have at the moment. And time will tell.

Assombalonga would of been a good buy but they wanted a lot of money for him. Personally I think his excellent start will level out a bit. Can see him going on a barren spell for a few games. Don't know why... just a feeling.

Deeny is one I've always liked when I've seen him play, however, he's another one who I think would of been out of our price range.

Overall though I am delighted with our current attacking options. Think we have an excellent attacking squad that 95% of clubs in the league would be envious of... Kike, Bamford, Vossen, Tomlin, Adomah

Yeah Graham is still playing for sunderland reserves, he got on for the last 2 minutes in their cup game I noticed. A huge waste of talent but no one will take his wages on

Dont think we were ever properly linked with Assombalonga, wasnt it just the fans saying they wanted him?

Very early days but Kike looks fantastic. wouldnt swap him for any other striker we were linked with this summer.

Found this link of players we were linked with in may on the club website. cant find any later ones though.

1. Lewis Grabban (Bournemouth)

2. Chris Eagles (Bolton)

3. Adam Clayton (Huddersfield Town)

4. Jonathan Castro Otto (Celta Vigo)

5. Richard Stearman (free agent, ex-Wolves)

6. Shola Ameobi (Released by Newcastle)

7. Kevin Doyle (QPR)

8. Stephen Ward (Wolves)

Kike is the real deal. Absolute gem. Wouldn't look out of place in the PL.

Vossen was a financially sensible deal, especially when consider the previous price tags for him. This way we get to see if he can cut it without bankrupting the club. From the little I've seen he looks a class act despite my reservations about his attitude (begging another club to come in for him whilst still contracted to another).

Nothing to lose on Patrick.

Neil Bausor and Stevie Gibson have come up trumps, all three look better than some of the players we were linked with. All us doubting supporters ought to be ashamed.

Up the Boro.

Surely there must be a decent championship side that could really do with graham. And close to the end of the window sunderland will take a reduced fee / wages for him. They have nothing to lose

Surely there must be a decent championship side that could really do with graham. And close to the end of the window sunderland will take a reduced fee / wages for him. They have nothing to lose

Maybe potential takers were put off by his recent(ish) loan spell with us? If I recall correctly he was pretty below-par...hence why he's currently languishing in the Mackems reserves.

Had a quick look at his career stats and he's rarely been exactly prolific. His best spells were at Carlisle and Watford between 2007 - 2011. Since then he's been pretty quiet.

In all honesty I think we could drive ourselves potty, wondering who may or may not have been a better signing. based on our performances to date I don't think we can have too many complaints about the players we did sign. All have shown they have real potential to turn Boro into a force to be feared.

The real trick for Karanka will be getting them to produce that form on a regular basis.

Given the current form of Norwich, Forest and Wolves, I think automatic promotion may be a bridge too far this season, but I see no reason why we shouldn't finish in the top 6.

All teams will suffer blips, and even though Forest started really well they only have 1 win in their last 4 games which was at home against Fulham at their worst. I can only see Norwich as a sure bet for an auto promotion spot as they have a really good squad and they havn't really been disrupted as much and has added Championship quality like Grabban.

Wolves I don't think will be in the autos but could be a dark horse for play offs. Jackett looks like a shrewd manager and they seem a very hard working close knit team.

The second auto spot is there for the taking for a team like Boro. Keep the momentum going, rotate a few players to keep everyone on their toes and obviously have some luck with injuries.

On the subject of dodging a bullet, how good was it we didn't get that Tokele Ranthie guy. Was it 3 million?

Maybe potential takers were put off by his recent(ish) loan spell with us? If I recall correctly he was pretty below-par...hence why he's currently languishing in the Mackems reserves.

Had a quick look at his career stats and he's rarely been exactly prolific. His best spells were at Carlisle and Watford between 2007 - 2011. Since then he's been pretty quiet.

In all honesty I think we could drive ourselves potty, wondering who may or may not have been a better signing. based on our performances to date I don't think we can have too many complaints about the players we did sign. All have shown they have real potential to turn Boro into a force to be feared.

The real trick for Karanka will be getting them to produce that form on a regular basis.

Given the current form of Norwich, Forest and Wolves, I think automatic promotion may be a bridge too far this season, but I see no reason why we shouldn't finish in the top 6.

Didnt he get 6 goals in the last 8 games for us... That wouldnt put me off

Didnt he get 6 goals in the last 8 games for us... That wouldnt put me off

Not bad, to be sure, but he still ended up with a 1-in-3 goal ratio over the 18 games he was here.

Still pretty good I admit, but I do seem to recall a few folks on here were not convinced about his attitude and work rate. Combined with his wage requirements and transfer fee, I think it would have been too much of a gamble.

Anyone can look good over a short spell. I'd rather we signed someone who will put in 100% effort more often than not.