oneBoro Forum

Boro v Rotherham (A) 3-0

Good day to you all and welcome to my first ever match day thread!

This weekend sees us take on newly-promoted Rotherham, and I'm sure we all agree we hope to bounce back to winning ways sooner rather than later.

While doing some research about the forthcoming match I came across a poem written by Lewis Carroll. Not many people realise that not only was Carroll a Boro fan, he also had visions of the future and would often put those visions down in writing. I am reliably informed that the below poem was sent to publishers sometime around 1870, but it was rejected as no-one had a clue what he was on about. Understandably disappointed, Carroll maintained the structure and cadence of the poem but wrote instead about a walrus and a carpenter. Oddly that was viewed to make much more sense (Victorians eh?) and it went on to become one of Carroll's most famous poems. Anyway, I present to you 'Karanka goes to Rotherham':

"The time has come," Karanka said,

"To talk of many things:

A draw with Watford, loss to Wolves;

Of Rotherham and wins--

And whether this year is our year

for promotion as Kings."

"But wait a bit," our rivals cried,

"Before we play our match;

For some of us are not as good,

you make our play look flat!"

"Not likely!" said the Boro boss.

They didn’t much like that.

"Another win," Karanka said,

"Is what we chiefly need;

3 points and goals from all the lads

Are very good indeed--

Now if you're ready, Rotherham,

It’s time we took the lead."

"But not so fast!" the Millers cried,

“You’re too quick off the mark.

"Please let us touch the ball before

you play us off the park!"

"With Clayts and Voss", Karanka said,

"This passing games a lark.”

"It seems unwise," Karanka said,

"To not play our best team,

The Millers are on a good run,

To win we’ll need to scheme!

Exploit the wings to feed Kike

Will surely make Stubbz cream!"

"I envy you," Steve Evans said:

"Your squad is full of skill.

Your Chairman is the best around;

He’ll always foot the bill.”

“With our new squad” Karanka said

“We’ll put you through the mill.”

The season ran its promised course

The games came thick and fast;

The Boro had their ups and downs,

The points they were amassed,

And Teesside spirits rose as their

Opponents were outclassed.

"Oh rivals," said the Boro boss,

"You've had a pleasant run!

Shall we play you all next year?'

But answer came there none--

And this was scarcely odd, because

We'd beaten every one.

Questions to ponder:

Will Boro get the three points this weekend?

As Rotherham are unbeaten in five would you take a point away from home?

Will Vossen ever score? If yes, is this weekend the weekend he'll do it?

Will Bamford be retained past January?

Which drugs were Carroll on when he wrote about a Walrus and a Carpenter eating a lot of talking oysters?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Certainly a very ambitious opening post MB well done!

Quite simply we have got to get back to winning ways and as soon as possible partially due to the 2 very important home games coming up before the International break (again....sigh!!)

Therefore to me this game must rank with one of THE MOST IMPORTANT GAMES OF THE SEASON.......so far!!!

Away win by a 2 goal clear margain

We simply need to be winning these kind of games if we are to be looking for promotion. Rotherham are a decent side but we have more than enough quality to go and win this game. Win the battle, then we will win the game. Vossen needs to play and i would like to see Wildchut play, give him the chance to express himself. An away game where the home team look to be dominant will hopefully give him space to use his power and pace. Was looking to get to this game so was gutted we sold out before general sale. 2-0 Boro.

Dimi

Fredericks

Omeruo

Gibson

Friend

Clayton

Leadbitter

Adomah

Vossen

Reach

Kike

I think Ayala has had a cracking season, but had a poor game at the weekend. Tomlin has been hit and miss, and also had a forgettable game on Saturday. I think Vossen will get his chance with Kike. Might see Ledesma on the bench after a great performance for the U21s the other night.

2-0 Boro, Kike double. UTB

I'm starting to get to the point where if Vossen doesn't start I'm going to flip some tables.

Its infuriating isn't it. I have been banging on since he signed that Kike and Vossen are going to be exciting to watch together and both are going to score plenty of goals.

I'm starting to get to the point where if Vossen doesn't start I'm going to flip some tables.

Its infuriating isn't it. I have been banging on since he signed that Kike and Vossen are going to be exciting to watch together and both are going to score plenty of goals.

It was my impression that Kike and Vossen didn't exactly impress when they played together.

The only game I've seen with the two of them, they both moved into the same channels to receive the ball. Obviously, this can and will improve as they spend game time together. But Vossen has been unlucky so far with match fitness, injuries and a - some would say - inform Tomlin. Or at least well performing.

Harsh to not include Bamford, thought he did well last weekend, should start again.

I do agree with you, but I think the team will be set up a bit more defensively for an away game, and this is where Reach comes in. Obviously Kike got the goal and I think will stay in the team. Bamford may stay in the side at the expense of Adomah, but I think that's unlikely.

Which drugs were Carroll on when he wrote about a Walrus and a Carpenter eating a lot of talking oysters?

Your post, and in particular your last question, reminded me of a brilliant interpretation of Through The Looking Glass, from Kevin Smith's Dogma....

[video=youtube]