oneBoro Forum

Rhys Williams

Been out for so long and didn't have a great time coming back from his last injury. People are forgetting how good he can be when on song. He's still a good player if he can get for and find some form

I don't think his form is necessarily his biggest issue, I think his attitude especially under Mowbray towards the end wasn't good enough - was it VB that said that Rhys was the most out of shape member of the team when people were saying it was Bailey?

Difficult to say how much all these injuries have taken out of him, but if he can regain full fitness and still has the ability he used to have then he could become an integral part of the squad. He would add competition to a couple of positions going into the new year which would be good so i hope he gets an opportunity.

Been out for so long and didn't have a great time coming back from his last injury. People are forgetting how good he can be when on song. He's still a good player if he can get for and find some form

I don't think his form is necessarily his biggest issue, I think his attitude especially under Mowbray towards the end wasn't good enough - was it VB that said that Rhys was the most out of shape member of the team when people were saying it was Bailey?

It was with regards to body fat and a tongue in cheek comment about Rhys having the highest body fat % of the team. I think it was a kind of half-joke as he didn't and probably still doesn't have the most body fat, but he was out of shape and he did look sluggish in a lot of games to be fair.

I did notice a sudden change in his form when Karanka arrived. After being awful for a season and a half under Mowbray, he really picked up for 5 or so games when Karanka was appointed but then got injured again. Hopefully with him back in light training and then no doubt the intense training Karanka prefers we might see Rhys back at his best. If he isn't then we now already have a top class selection of CBs so he needs to up his game if he wants a place.

I don't want him anywhere near our first team, I have never rated him EVER, Hes trash.

If he ever gets back in the team just watch the goals against rise.

Its only my opinion but the best thing to do is get rid of him on a free or loan him out.

I have always maintained that if AK sees the logic of playing him then that's fine by me BUT with his injury record and from the statements made by the player himself then he is just one more serious injury away from enforced retirement, which I believe is the same case as Woodgate

I don't want him anywhere near our first team, I have never rated him EVER, Hes trash.

If he ever gets back in the team just watch the goals against rise.

Its only my opinion but the best thing to do is get rid of him on a free or loan him out.

We turned down a 6mil bid and made him captain and hes trash? Ok.

I remember everything going wrong about the time he came back from an injury. He just walked straight into the starting 11 and seemingly caused havoc. The season went completely downhill from there.

My memory might play me a bit here though.

I also felt as though he was under the assumption that if he was fit, he'd play regardless of form. He was woeful at times under Mowbray. There was a mini revival under Karanka and then he got injured. Rhys' problem is that he needs to be just as hard working and committed as the rest of the squad. Gone are the days where players were allowed to retain their place based on potential.

I trust Karanka and if he believes that he can do the job for us, the lad will have my support. That being said, at this moment in time, I remain unconvinced he can force his way back into the team.

We turned down a 6mil bid and made him captain and hes trash? Ok.

We spent £8m on Maccarone, £6m on Mido, £12m on Alves. Does that mean they were worth it? We supposedly turned down a similar size bid for Emnes. How did that work out for us? Clubs make stupid offers all the time because there's far more money than sense within the game.

I also felt as though he was under the assumption that if he was fit, he'd play regardless of form. He was woeful at times under Mowbray. There was a mini revival under Karanka and then he got injured. Rhys' problem is that he needs to be just as hard working and committed as the rest of the squad. Gone are the days where players were allowed to retain their place based on potential.

I trust Karanka and if he believes that he can do the job for us, the lad will have my support. That being said, at this moment in time, I remain unconvinced he can force his way back into the team.

I've said this before about him but when can you remember him putting even just three good games together in a row?

I completely disagree with the idea that he had a revival under Karanka. I saw most of the games and he ranged from poor to average at best. I reckon if you read over the match threads on here from that period you'd see all kinds of criticism directed his way. From memory, we went on that run of not conceding at all around and over Christmas after he was out of the squad.

He had a good spell here about three or four years ago but that's about it. He was good at that time although I don't think he was as good as people make out. A midfielder that worked hard or a defender that was at times a bit dodgy positionally. At that time though I do believe he had the potential to develop and become a player for the Premier League. His injury problems may well have stopped that unfortunately.

The more important point now is how much the different injuries have affected him. When he came back before, he was abysmal and I truly mean abysmal. It was a disgrace that Mowbray continued to pick him and he let himself down badly there in my opinion. Although he was better than that at the start of last season, he still couldn't be described as good. He was/is prone to big mistakes and I do wonder whether the injuries have reduced his mobility a bit - being able to twist and turn quickly especially. At the time I'd hoped he would be taken out of the back four and moved into midfield, especially as Whitehead was poor here initially.

Considering the money he is on, I hope he's either brilliant or we bin him asap as harsh as that sounds. We've spent far too much money and time on players with terrible injury records who were never that good anyway to justify it.

He played every game in Jan, a month in which Boro were unbeaten and went on a four game win streak with five clean sheets. I'm not suggesting he was sensational but he was very much a part of the squad that went on that run.

On his day he is a very good player but I agree that it is make or break for the lad. The club can't afford to spend so much time and money on a player with such an awful injury record. I think his time at the club has come to an end but I am open to the possibility that he may surprise me and pull something out of the bag.

His mindset will be interesting. He had more or less signed for Swansea (if bbc are to be believed) until his achilles went last January. I always liked him but I think it was unaminous last January that we were happy to see him go. Whether or not his mindset has changed I just felt for the good of his career he needed to leave as he just didnt seem the same player after being rushed back when we went into that bad run of form.

Having said that perhaps AKs influence and the fact we appear to be a team on the up he may find the hunger or drive to want to succeed with us that was perhaps dwindling last year.