Boro's January Window Hell : Pt 1 Afonso Alves

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

One of the many many many reasons you shouldn't spend money in January unless you have to

Bang on AR - it's a tough window to bring in anyone decent as we have proved over the years.

Definitely not worth the money we paid but those paid to supply him were also below average the majority of the time.

Not sure I've seen many people in a Boro shirt with a worse first touch than his.

Definitely not worth the money we paid but those paid to supply him were also below average the majority of the time.

Not sure I've seen many people in a Boro shirt with a worse first touch than his.

Yes awful Ste - the only Brazilian who couldn't control a ball or shoot and we paid 12M for him. 

Yes, as transfers go that was abysmal :(

How about a triple swoop for Ricketts, Christie and Riggott. One lazy bugger and two injury prone triers. What was it, £3.5m for Ricketts and £5m combined for the other two? I'm not sure whether we got value for money there really.

I preferred football without the windows and think they should be abolished.

How about a triple swoop for Ricketts, Christie and Riggott.  One lazy bugger and two injury prone triers.  What was it, £3.5m for Ricketts and £5m combined for the other two?  I'm not sure whether we got value for money there really.

Ricketts will feature in Pt2 or 3 - absolute waste of space (a lot of space) 

How about a triple swoop for Ricketts, Christie and Riggott.  One lazy bugger and two injury prone triers.  What was it, £3.5m for Ricketts and £5m combined for the other two?  I'm not sure whether we got value for money there really.

Ricketts was junk, but I actually really liked Christie and Riggott.

It was a shame what happened to Christie. I wonder how he's getting on selling Aston Martins. 

One of the many many many reasons you shouldn't spend money in January unless you have to

I'm not sure I agree with that.  We could easily have signed him in the summer but the end result would have been the same.  The issue to me was that we looked at a player that had a great season and a bit in Holland and got suckered into going for him.  I'd watched a decent amount of Dutch football and whilst he obviously had a great record, he never looked to have any particular strengths and that bothered me a lot.  A load of people did the usual of looking on youtube and seeing lots of goals and gettting carried away - no lessons learned there ;) - but I thought it would end up being a waste of money simply because I didn't think he'd be able to have that success here as he wasn't suited to it.  I don't think he was a terrible player or a terrible striker as he could clearly score a few goals.  I just think when you don't have any particular strong points you will struggle when you step up to the top level of competition.  I think a certain player on our books right now will have the same problem if/when he ends up in the Premier League, either with us or with someone else.  I guess we'll see about that though.

It was a shame what happened to Christie. I wonder how he's getting on selling Aston Martins. 

Riggott was good - Christie unlucky - Ricketts obese

Big Chris Riggot scored a decisive goal in the greatest come back since Lazareth. I liked Riggot, and Christie to be fair. Rickets.... I can't believe he got an England cap....

Big Chris Riggot scored a decisive goal in the greatest come back since Lazareth. I liked Riggot,  and Christie to be fair. Rickets.... I can't believe he got an England cap....

Is 'Lazereth' a cross between Lazarus and Nazareth? Either way, I like the amalgamation of two biblical references into one  :)

I'm not sure I agree with that.  We could easily have signed him in the summer but the end result would have been the same.  The issue to me was that we looked at a player that had a great season and a bit in Holland and got suckered into going for him.  I'd watched a decent amount of Dutch football and whilst he obviously had a great record, he never looked to have any particular strengths and that bothered me a lot.  A load of people did the usual of looking on youtube and seeing lots of goals and gettting carried away - no lessons learned there ;) - but I thought it would end up being a waste of money simply because I didn't think he'd be able to have that success here as he wasn't suited to it.  I don't think he was a terrible player or a terrible striker as he could clearly score a few goals.  I just think when you don't have any particular strong points you will struggle when you step up to the top level of competition.  I think a certain player on our books right now will have the same problem if/when he ends up in the Premier League, either with us or with someone else.  I guess we'll see about that though.

I think what I was getting at is that if we had perused in the summer we would have been able to drive a harder bargain on price, or atleast had alternative targets. History shows that January signings are almost always overpriced.