oneBoro Forum

Travelling away fans

Just been reading the gazette article and wonder why it and similar articles always seem to assume that all fans travel from the club's local area to the away matches. There are many thousands of both active and passive Boro fans living nowhere near Teesside. We may get back "home" occasionally and get to a home match, but many of us mainly get to away matches. What % of the gate at e.g. Millwall actually travelled from Teesside? I wonder if the Boro ticket office could supply the answer as they posted a lot of tickets out to fan's home addresses. ***nal away, for example, will be a relatively easy option for many of us, if only we could get a ticket, but a season ticket is not an option, so little chance!

The same argument applies to the comments regarding the low number of away fans attending the Riverside. There has not been an almighty migration of southerners finding work near Teesside and thus finding themselves with an easy journey to follow there hometown club playing at Middlesbrough. On the other hand, local economics and level of opportunities has led to an enormous number of smoggies seeking employment elsewhere in the country.

I don't intend to belittle the effort, commitment, sacrifice and enthusiasm of Teesiders travelling to away matches. It has been magnificent, but I wonder if the statistics are influenced by migration.

I think it's a fair assumption to make given that majority of season ticket holders will live 'local' and that man city never went to general sale meaning they all went to season ticket holders. Not saying this is the case for all away games but it's probably fair to assume majority come from the teesside area.

It would however be interesting to see if that is the case. I.e in the form of a heat map or something showing were away tickets are being sold

At Reading away im sure someone said we only took one coach down, I only saw about 15 boro fans on the train there and back, a fair few will have driven but I would expect that the majority were not from Teesside

At Reading away im sure someone said we only took one coach down, I only saw about 15 boro fans on the train there and back, a fair few will have driven but I would expect that the majority were not from Teesside

There were a few Compass Royston coaches as i was walking back to the car, assuming they were all from 'Boro. There is definitely an increase in Season Ticket holders at away games IMO as i have had no trouble getting tickets for away games until recently when there have been fewer to make it to Gen sale.

Good points. I am sure the man city match was almost entirely Teesside dwellers, (bar a few tickets passed on), as are all the other popular/limited allocations. It would be interesting to also see a heat map of Boro pride card holders. I am sure that I wouldn't have got a Brentford ticket without mine, as its a small ground and didn't make general sale. We usually don't have any problem with getting tickets for matches in the south, but should we get promoted it will probably get worse! Bournemouth was no problem last season, but not sure if that will be the case this year.