oneBoro Forum

2014/15 Stats aka A real eye opener

There are a lot of discussions ongoing over the relative merits of various players at the moment, so I thought I’d sprinkle some stats on the issues to see if it adds anything useful:

Attack:

Well no surprise here Bamford leads the way in this domain with one goal every 177mins, Vossen was at one goal every 240 mins and Kike was 255.

Looking at the wings though is quite interesting. With Goals and Assists combined Adomah had one or the other every 374mins, while Adam Reach is at 314mins – I know his form dipped but I think Reach was harshly treated by the fans. His crosses per game and passing accuracy is virtually identical to Adomah’s too.

It’s also interesting that Leadbitter was only one assist behind Tomlin too (9 vs 10) albeit having played more games, but his key passes per game were 2.4 vs Tomlin’s 1.5 (Clayton was next on 1.2). So Leads seems quite productive considering his mostly defensive role.

Defence:

Fredericks surprisingly leads the way in most stats on the defence with 3.6 tackles per game and 1.4 interceptions too.

Clayton and Leads were high here too 2.8 and 2.2 tackles respectively and 1.9 and 1.5 interceptions each.

Ayala led in clearance by some margin over Woody, Ken, Kalas and then Gibson, but Gibson was top of shots blocked

Team:

One final stat I thought was interesting after the “Boro are a team of set pieces and counter attacks” is the types of goals we scored:

Open play – 63%

Set Pieces – 21%

Penalties – 11%

Counter Attacks – 3%

Own Goals – 3%

Hopefully some bits of interest there!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take away Leadbitters corners from the stats he would still probably have the same assists :). They are very poor his outswingers float out towards the 18 yard line and his inswingers rarely beat the 1st man. When Barry Robson left I thought thank God we will have a chance of scoring from a corner Leadbitter seems to have inherited the curse.

Where did you get the stats from mate?

Compiled from a few websites, I try to use ones that ultimately use the same source (Opta), as that gets as much consistency as possible, but with things like assists it's tricky as it's quite subjective.

Main one for this set of stats was whoscored.com.

Good set of stats TC.

The counter attacks one surprised me. Wonder when a counter attack becomes just an attack?

Good set of stats TC.

The counter attacks one surprised me. Wonder when a counter attack becomes just an attack?

Thanks, yeah the counter attack one is another that's super-subjective

Probably the most important set of figures especially how much attention there has been on strikers and the changes possibly needed to defensive midfielders.

This really does tell it as it was this season and highlights next

HOME

Scoring first:

P20 W17 D3 L0

Conceding first:

P3 W0 D0 L3

-------------------------------------

AWAY

Scoring first:

P14 W13 D0 L1

Conceding first:

P13 W1 D3 L9

Probably the most important set of figures especially how much attention there has been on strikers and the changes possibly needed to defensive midfielders.

HOME

Scoring first:

P20 W17 D3 L0

Conceding first:

P3 W0 D0 L3

AWAY

Scoring first:

P14 W13 D0 L1

Conceding first:

P13 W1 D3 L9

Damning stuff.

Those stats back up what we've been saying for a lot of the season, and small improvements could make a massive difference. I find it strange that we only drew 6 times all season. If only a few of those 13 loses had been draws, it could have been a very different story.

HOME

Scoring first:

P20 W17 D3 L0

Conceding first:

P3 W0 D0 L3

AWAY

Scoring first:

P14 W13 D0 L1

Conceding first:

P13 W1 D3 L9

So if were brutally black and white we could sum that up as

NO PLAN B!!!!

HOME

Scoring first:

P20 W17 D3 L0

Conceding first:

P3 W0 D0 L3

AWAY

Scoring first:

P14 W13 D0 L1

Conceding first:

P13 W1 D3 L9

We played 23 games at home but 27 away?! That's where we're going wrong! Need more home games