oneBoro Forum

First team squad discussion....George Friend

We are all hoping that at some point soon we will have a clearer understanding of what the coming season's squad will look like and whether or not it will be capable of mounting a serious promotion challenge so shall we take a look and discuss the attributes of what we already know we have (and yes there will be a chance that some of those players in place currently might at some point move on due to transfer activity before the season starts) and what you hope to see from them in terms of development and improvement or indeed if you honestly feel that certain players are not up to the grade in what we hope will be achieved next time round.

So as to ensure we get to chat about everyone let's keep to a particular player for a short period of time before moving on.

To get the ball rolling would like to start with the enigma that is Muzzy Carayol.

Will we see a full 90 minutes from the guy? Has last seasons long injury (it seems as being a Boro player) compounded his efficiency to an extent that he will always be a bit player, a squad member or just as a impact sub?

I have to say that I was somewhat surprised that we extended his contract and somewhat bewildered as to why after positive comments were made about him that we actually saw nothing of him during the last few remaining games where it was declared he was fit and ready to play his part.

So simply, and I know opinions will be divided, will we get the best of Carayol next season?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he'll be used in the squad in pre-season, given as good a chance as anyone, and if he impresses will start the season in the squad. But I think he knows his position is precarious, and that he will be out with the first sign of an attitude problem, or if a suitable bid arrives.

Personally, I'm excited to see him back, but how long for, I don't know.

I know it's not popular but I don't rate Muzzy that much at all. Yeah he's quick but so is wildshut. Then there's the attitude issue. I'm not saying it's particularly bad but it obviously clashes somewhat with AK's and we all knows how that ends. His injury hasn't helped either. But at best I see muzzy as an asset we could sell to raise some funds

I know it's not popular but I don't rate Muzzy that much at all. Yeah he's quick but so is wildshut. Then there's the attitude issue. I'm not saying it's particularly bad but it obviously clashes somewhat with AK's and we all knows how that ends. His injury hasn't helped either. But at best I see muzzy as an asset we could sell to raise some funds

Pretty much this. 

I think it depends on muzzy. If he wants to play for us enough to change his style/workrate i think he will have a part to play. But if hi isnt willing to change then i think we will sell him or he will be used from the bench when we are behind

We that comes down to attitude again. He's nowhere near a premiership player and if he can't/won't/ or doesn't want to adapt to play for a promotion pushing championship team then he has to go

I like him. He's got the pace and a bit of end product (more than wildschut at least). I'd keep him as a bench player to throw on after 70 minutes to run the opposition defence ragged.

I like muzzy he is on his day is a game changer and game winner . He can create something from nothing , and in key games be the difference and offers something else something we don't have ....BUT this happens in every 10 or so games with him , similar to Tomlin can be the greatest player in the league one week the next would struggle in a league 1 side.

For me though muzzy has to say and be in match day squads . He can win you points .

Simple for me. If he integrates himself into AKs philosophy then he'll be used in rotation in the LM role with reach and (hopefully) A.N Other, if doesnt he won't and that'd probably be him sold or loaned with a view to a sale.

Hopefully the former as his directness and confidence to have a go is something we would benefit from next season

For all we know his injury might of took a yard of pace off him and at this level that could mean the difference, also he cost 300k so what hes done so far hes been a bargain

If Muzzy was fit last season i think we would have went up, the LW was a problem all season, i know some people thought Reach played well for a couple of months but i disagree with that tbf. Carayol scores goals, thats something we need more of this term, you can pretty much guarentee he'll score 8+ goals a season, everyone says all he has is pace, but sometimes thats all you need, and he is a good finisher to be fair to him. He's comfortably the best LW at the club.

From what i've seen of him he looks like what we were missing last season on the left.

Not Sure Why people keep bashing him with this attitude thing i don't know were it has come from. 

The only thing not sure about is if his injury has gone altogether 

Would rather have him on the left then Tomlin  

Carayol has been the very definition of hit and miss in his time here so far. He's had very good games and very bad games. If his attitude has been called into question then this is a negative. I don't believe he fits into how we play as his work off the ball is non existent and Karanka likes his attacking players to put a shift in defensively as well. All of that being said, if Karanka keeps him around the squad then he's doing it for a reason. If he feels that they can iron out the issues he's had then he may see him as an effective weapon for us. If he still has his pace following the injury then that's something we lack I guess, certainly in the usual starting XI. There's a lot of 'ifs' there though.