oneBoro Forum

The Central Midfield Role...

What do you expect of the centre midfield pairing?

I expect both should be box to box, but not at the same time.

If GL breaks forward or wants to join in the attack, AC/AF sits back and covers, and reciprocated.

It's incredibly frustrating seeing two talented players not injecting pace or momentum to the style of play.

Look at Chelsea for example, Matic and Fabregas take turns getting forward, Matic was in around the Swansea box plenty yesterday, while the general perception of him is "the defensive midfielder".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Matic and Fabregas are world class footballers. They have a more rounded game. We have to tailor the attributes our players have to their respective roles. You can't use Matic and Fabregas as examples.

Leadbitter can strike a ball from distance. Clayton can't. Clayton times his tackles better than Leadbitter. Clayton has better 'legs' than Leadbitter. Leadbitter is more cute in and around the box etc.

They do often change roles depending on the game, but what they do works. Last season was testament to that. They were one of the best partnerships in the division. I like Forshaw and i think he can come in and do a very good job in the advanced CM position, but this criticism i've seen today is over the top.

They looked crab today because they had three midfielder and five defenders in front of them. The best players in the world often struggle to pick passes in that circumstance.

I can only give my opinion based on what i've seen and in my opinion he's not prolific at shooting from distance. He clearly has a defined role within the team, as does Leadbitter. Over the course of a season it's proven to work. I don't see a problem.

I think Clayton is a better footballer than Leadbitter, Hes better defensively and doesn't give the ball away as much.

Forshaw is the the one who is forward thinking of the three, He has more energy, The ability to join in the attack better and make us more fluid going forward.

Clayton and Forshaw would be brilliant together just like they were last season when Leadbitter was suspended.

AK wont drop Leadbitter but I think he should..

Clayton and Forshaw should be the CM's

On what basis? That goes for both your statements.

Clayton and Forshaw would be brilliant together just like they were last season when Leadbitter was suspended.

I can only give my opinion based on what i've seen and in my opinion he's not prolific at shooting from distance. He clearly has a defined role within the team, as does Leadbitter. Over the course of a season it's proven to work. I don't see a problem.

This. Don't try to fix what clearly ain't broken.

Massive sample size of 2 games there.  Take Leadbitter's goals & assists from our team last season and we're mid-table at best.

This wasn't intended to be a who's better than who, but more What do you expect of your players in them positions. In the bigger games last season they went missing as they were sat too deep and couldn't influence the game.

Massive sample size of 2 games there.  Take Leadbitter's goals & assists from our team last season and we're mid-table at best.

Its enough for me.

Its enough for me.

Apparently so, lets just say I strongly disagree.

This wasn't intended to be a who's better than who, but more What do you expect of your players in them positions. In the bigger games last season they went missing as they were sat too deep and couldn't influence the game.

I expect them to push forward a hell of a lot more, especially when the opposition are not intent on pressing forward at all.

I really don't see thee need to keep 6 players back defending against 1 and a half attacking players.

Assists maybe (I don't have the exact figures so I don't know how many he got) but something like 8 of his 12 goals were from the penalty spot and I'd like to think we'd score them even if grant didn't take them.