oneBoro Forum

Welsh 3000's (14 Peaks)

Hi all

On the 16th of July (also my birthday), 6 friends and I will be attempting the Welsh 3000's challenge, which if you don't know what this is, it's basically a 30 mile trek across 14 peaks in under 24 hours (http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/).

This will be the first walking challenge that we have done and its arguably the most difficult. Has anyone else attempted this or anything similar? If so, does anyone have any advice for us, or any stories to share?

I'd say I'm moderately fit but I've never walked even close to 30 miles before so I guess I'll be in for a shock!

We are also doing it for the charity AAIR (Asthma, Allergy & Inflamation Research) so if you are directly affected, or have family/friends who are then, if you wish, feel free to donate using the following link: https://www.justgiving.com/gentswelsh14peaks

Hopefully I'll make it back in time for the start of the season :P

Cheers

Good luck with this and having done similar challenges myself in the past my best suggestion is to wear in your boots as soon as possible, ensure you keep your feet dry as much as possible and try to walk 50 to 60 miles per week before your venture

Good luck with this and having done similar challenges myself in the past my best suggestion is to wear in your boots as soon as possible, ensure you keep your feet dry as much as possible and try to walk 50 to 60 miles per week before your venture

Cheers DS. I've recently bought a new pair so I've been trying to wear them in as much as I can.

I'll make sure to pack a couple of pairs of socks!

Yay!  I may have no idea who we should sign, or how to get the best of Adomah or what formation would suit us in the PL or whatever .. but this I actually know a bit about!

I'm more of a runner than a walker, but I've done the Welsh 3000s, and have done a couple of 24+ hour races too, so have a fair idea of the demands.  I'd echo DS's comments about looking after your feet and agree with doing more walking before the event - although realistically, you're not going to get that much fitter in the next 6 weeks or so :)  A few longer, hilly walks will be good if you can find the time, and should make the day itself more enjoyable.

What else?  

- Be prepared for terrible weather, even in mid July.  Get a mountain weather forecast before you go ( http://www.mwis.org.uk/english-welsh-forecast/SD/) - although fingers crossed you get some decent weather for your walk. 

- Don't go off at a crazy pace: 24 hours is plenty of time, no need to rush.

- You need to eat and drink quite a lot to sustain yourself for 30 miles, but there are not a great deal of places to stock up on route: when I ran it some 10 years ago, it was just the Vaynol Arms in Nant Peris (foot of Elidir Fawr) and a little cafe thing at Idwal Cottage (foot of Pen Yr Ole Wen) .. if they're even open when you pass through.  Plan ahead, maybe options are better now!

- It's not unusual to have low periods when you feel you can't go on.  They pass .. eventually.

- Generally, the route is pretty straightforward (although less so in mist, obviously), but try and have at least 1 person in your group who can read a map and use a compass.  GPS is great, but a map and compass are handy for emergencies, if you need to get off the hill fast.

- Crib Goch is a fairly easy scramble, but if you've never been on it before, it can be a little disconcerting; it's quite exposed in places.  

- If you're travelling from North to South, don't go down the front of Pen Yr Ole Wen - it's just an unpleasant, steep, rock and scree descent.  The East ridge has much better walking.  Much of a muchness going South to North.

- Buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welsh-Three-Thousand-Foot-Challenges/dp/1902017021 if you haven't already - I have the older version and it's got loads of useful info in it.

That's about it, off the top of my head.  Ask if there's anything else, I used to live in the Midlands and often ran in Snowdonia.  Good luck, it's a fantastic route!

Good first post Rich and very good advise and information from an obvious expert with a wealth of knowledge.

Hope you might try posting on other subjects within the forum discussion threads.

Are you a Boro fan and if so have you just found us or are you a regular lurker?

Hi DS,

Yeah, am a Boro fan - although I only make it a few games a year, even though I live locally. Have been lurking for a couple of years, I think, probably since not long after AK joined. Will post more now I've gone and registered, am sure :)

First of all, welcome to the forum Rich. If nothing else comes of this thread, having you join up makes it worthwhile! I appreciate the advice and I'll definitely take it all on board.

I've done multiple mud runs over the past year and I go to the gym regularly so I'm hoping a few long walks in similar conditions will be enough to prepare me for it. Obviously I could be wrong here but there is only one way to find out :P.

We are planning on doing it North to South, reason being that we will be closer to civilisation should any members need to drop out towards the end. Are there any disadvantages of taking this route?

Also, how much water would you recommend to carry? We were considering taking some sterilisation tablets, although I'm not sure how often we would be passing a water source.

Thanks again

The main difficulty with North to South is having to climb the last 3 peaks - including Snowdon - when you're most tired .. but it's not that big an issue, it's just perseverance at that stage. Overall, once you include getting to the first peak and down from the last one, the distance and total ascent/descent is pretty much the same either way.

I had two attempts, by the way. The first was South to North (coincidentally, also on my birthday) and I abandoned after 6 peaks in bad weather - thoroughly cold and wet and fed up. A few weeks later I did North to South in pretty much perfect conditions, got lucky I guess :)

How much water? Hmm, good question. I'd probably start (at first light!) with 2 to 3 litres of water for the first leg across the Carneddau, depending on how hot it is - fairly sure there are no water sources along that section of the route. Then I'd rest and refill at Ogwen (Idwal Cottage) - either the cafe, or there are streams on the way up to Tryfan - and then there are a few other water sources on the Glyderau, you shouldn't struggle too much to find it. Rest and refill again at Vaynol Arms - or there are streams on the ascent up to Crib Goch. Not much after that from memory, depends how wet it's been.

Am sure you'll get on fine, clearly fit enough and there's bound to be loads of other walkers around on the route if you get stuck :) Pete's Eats and The Heights in Llanberis are decent if you need food/drink afterwards/morning after ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Will take a note of your resting and refilling points and use them as a guide.

How long did it take you to do it on your successful attempt?

Just under 10 hours, from Llanfairfechan to Llanberis .. that was before I got old and fat :P I'd love another crack at it, curious what I'd do nowadays.