oneBoro Forum

Hopes for the season

The fixture lists that were published yesterday were met with mixed feelings, some saying we have a decent first set of fixtures and pointing out the final few games including it seems another week of destiny.

The way I look at it is that we have to play everyone at some point but it did finally slap me in the face that we are now a Premiership team.

However taking the "big boys" aside if the club is astute in their final 25 then is there a lot to worry about?

Sure we will not be winning any league title for a while but surely and which has been confirmed by Steve Gibson we will be a real competing force and not just another Hull/Burnley/Norwich who simply flirt between divisions.

Second season is so important to the club but how we achieve it is the question.

So what are your hopes and expectations for the coming season?

Simply surviving or making a real fist of it?

Should we be one of the relegation favourites (am sure we already are)?

My hope is that we achieve a mid table place, play some good football along the way and because I already mentioned it to our Irish forum members winning one of the cups (not the JPT)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I think this year is all about survival. With the money coming in that would give us the platform to build from there on. I do believe we will spend some big money on players from abroad and the way they settle will determine whether we achieve survival or not. I dont think there is a huge gap between us and 7-8 of the teams already in the premier league. It also seems we have a much better strategy than last time we were in the premier regarding transfers with a good scouting network and backroom staff involved.

My prediction is 14th with a decent cup run this season.

I would be happy just to survive, we need to be realistic and that should be the aim of any newly promoted club. I think the Premier League is going to be the most competitive it has been in a long time, with the extra money coming in and the top clubs strengthening considerably.

If you told me we would finish 17th, I would snap your hand off.

I agree with the majority, 17th will be alright by me. That would also be my prediction too.

If we are all predicting survival, who do we reckon will be "taking our place" in the relegation spots? I reckon it's between Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull, Watford, West Brom and us for relegation, with Crystal Palace an outside chance at capitulating.

Edit: Actually I just looked, Palace only got 11 points in 2016?! Only Villa were worse. They really need to get their act together otherwise they are well doomed.

Obviously survival and it would be nice to have that sewn up 2-3 games before the end. It gives me some comfort that we generally do well against the better teams. At least we did in the Championship, and this year we will mainly be up against teams that are better than ourselves on paper. We don't have to be the ones looking to create the match, and that I think will play into our hands. Finishing somewhere in between 14-17th is realistic.

I hope we win the league. You lot are setting hopes way too low.

At this stage, I expect us to be relegated.

Do you really? I think we will be ok, only just though. 16th is my prediction. I genuinely think there will be worse teams than us next year. Burnley to go straight back down for me, I think Bournemouth will struggle this season, and West Brom and Palace in for tough seasons, along with Hull obviously. I think the mackems will be fine.

Still can't believe we're going to be playing premier league football next year, can't wait for Stoke.