oneBoro Forum

Karanka in his element?

I realise this might be tempting fate - and I'm of a somewhat superstitious nature when it comes to footie - but I would guess that Aitor is much more in his element right now. Since 1993, until he came to Boro, his main experience was of top-flight Spanish football. The Champo was probably a hard learning curve for him. So all the more credit to him for making that work and getting us promoted.  In my view though, he will be (even) better as a PL manager than he was at managing a Championship team.

Any thoughts?

I think, similar to a lot of players, Karanka took a while to get used to the championship. I think his tactics will have more chance to shine in the premier league. Bit hard to put tactics into play in the championship when teams just stick 11 men behind the ball. Still some question marks over his subs though. We've tired a bit in the last 2 games and could have done with a sub or two ~70 mins.

Fingers crossed it goes well for him/us though

• 2 months later...

I think, similar to a lot of players, Karanka took a while to get used to the championship. I think his tactics will have more chance to shine in the premier league. Bit hard to put tactics into play in the championship when teams just stick 11 men behind the ball. Still some question marks over his subs though. We've tired a bit in the last 2 games and could have done with a sub or two ~70 mins.

Fingers crossed it goes well for him/us though

Karanka was a very good player. Now, he is a good coach. But he must do it better. I think he can do it.