oneBoro Forum

De Roon

Now, we're 9 games into the season so I've seen a fair amount of him already. Yet I still can't really work out what he brings to the team? Yeah he runs around a lot but apart from that his passing isn't really great and to be honest neither is his tackling.

Considering he was the big money signing of the summer I've got to admit I was expecting a lot more and at this moment in time would much prefer Clayton and Forshaw or even Grant when he back.

Was just interested to know what you lads all make of him so far?

I expected more but he seems to be improving marginally with each game. There's a huge difference in speed of the game between here and Italy so it's possible he's just struggling with the additional running he's having to do each and every game. ***nal was his best game yet for me, perhaps that was because he was part of a three so had less ground to cover? I don't know what shape Atalanta played last season but it is possible that the double pivot is unusual to him.

He seems too willing to give the opposition de room to play  :dodgy:

Hasn't impressed me so far, whether that's because he needs more time to get used to playing here or if he's just not that good, I really don't know.  I'd say Clayton has been the better of the two so far and he hasn't found it easy himself.

He's a bit of a presence, not afraid to put himself about but as our biggest money signing of the summer, I would want to see some more than someone who could potentially just give away daft free-kicks.

It's still early days though. We're having to deal with Championship players adapting to the Premiership and happy enough to allow them to do that so I think we should also be willing to give De Roon the time to show us what he's in the team to do. And from what we've seen of Clayton so far, there's not enough difference between the 2 to justify dropping him for Clayts.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Leadbitter comes back.

I've been really unimpressed with him to be honest. To me his reading of the game is quite poor and at times it means he plays like a schoolboy.

Whether it's the pace of the game here or just his ability I'm unsure but he needs to stop just chasing the ball around like a dog.

I've not wrote him off yet as he could step up and improve but I honestly think there were better options available in the summer.

More worrying to me is it casts a shadow on our scouting and recruitment who seen intent on signing gambles.

I don't think there's much to choose between De Roon and Clayton this season and that doesn't reflect well on De Roon. The only plus side from De Roon's POV is that you'd think De Roon has more to come. At least you'd hope so.

Personally i don't think he's adapted to the pace and flow of the game just yet. As someone above said he seems to improving marginally.

I've been really unimpressed with him to be honest. To me his reading of the game is quite poor and at times it means he plays like a schoolboy.

Whether it's the pace of the game here or just his ability I'm unsure but he needs to stop just chasing the ball around like a dog.

I've not wrote him off yet as he could step up and improve but I honestly think there were better options available in the summer.

More worrying to me is it casts a shadow on our scouting and recruitment who seen intent on signing gambles.

I think you make a good point about our scouting system, but with regards to De Roon £12 mill is a lot of money for a player who looks an OK DM but nothing special in my opinion, certainly feel we could have spent this money in other areas were we needed vast improvement.