oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sheffield Wednesday (A) 0-2

Sheffield Wednesday Vs Middlesbrough

Hillsborough Stadium

3.00 pm

Saturday 28th February 2015

Welcome to my second match day thread, fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride. We now find ourselves in an odd position, last two games we have battered a team and lost the game, then played a horrible game and came out with three points. The last game was so horrible that Aitor indeed called it one of the worst displays of his tenure. Which Boro will turn up on Saturday??

13 Left to Play…

The home stretch is getting ever closer, it's now 33 played and we sit 3 points clear in the automatic positions ahead of Ipswich. After this game we have Forest, Derby, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich and Fulham to play away and Millwall, Ipswich, Wigan, Rotherham, Wolves and Brighton to play at the Riverside.

Team News…

The major Boro team news is Muzzy Carayol is back in the squad and having sat on the bench in the last game, could make his comeback against Sheff Wed. Nsue was dropped for the last game, but with Fredricks looking slightly wobbly he could be in line for a recall. Big Aitor will also have to decide if he wants to shuffle the pack of misfiring strikers as Vossen will be back and Kike will be pushing for a starts. The game will come too soon for Ayala so it's likely that Gibson and Kalas will continue their promising partnership.

Reverse and Previous Fixtures…

You may remember at the beginning of the season we had an outstanding display of flapping, butterfingers and position unawareness from Mejias to thank for a spanking from Sheff Wed. Grant Leadbitter scored two late pens to bring some respectability to the scoreline, but this was a definite beating by Sheff Wed. If you wish to relive this then check out this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_jn-qzKT04

A couple of seasons ago Sheff Wed beat us on their patch to ensure they stayed up on the last day of the season (Leroy 'Offside' Lita scoring against us), they also drew and beat us last season so it's no win for Boro in last last four meetings. The last win was November 2012 when the goal scorers were Juke, Miller and a screamer from Justin Hoyte.

The Opposition…

Sheff Wed currently lying nicely in midtable in 11th. Too far to reach the playoffs and too far to be relegated you would have though. After a promising start to the season, inconsistency has proved their undoing. The currently have one win in nine having beaten lowly Millwall in the last game.

Ones to watch are Stevie May up top, Lewis McGugan who seems to have got a few goals of late making Frank Lampard runs into the box and perhaps Maghoma, just because we tried to sign him a few seasons back.

View from the opposition…

Sheff Wed fans seem relatively pessimistic about their chances, doesn't seem to be any sort of match day thread up but some views can be found here....

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/223335-boro-fan-in-peace/page-8

Rest of the wolf pack...

So we finally have a cushion over 3rd place but still only 9 points ahead of 8th. Forest did us all a massive favour and pasted Bournemouth so could Derby and Forest finally start breaking away. Here the fixtures to look out for:

Birmingham Vs Brentford

Bournemouth Vs Blackburn

Cardfidd Vs Wolves

Fulham Vs Derby

Leeds Vs Wolves

Nowich Vs Ipswich

Lets hope theres a few banana skins.

Enjoy the game one and all UTB.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Good away win for Wednesday against Millwall will have boosted their confidence and another team who could do the double over Boro this season.

Would suggest we need to be much sharper and far more clinical to stay where we are, this is going to be one of those games which will have us on the edge of our seats and feeling very fraught at times if we allow Wednesday play

Don't worry - no negative waves here!

I'm sure AK feels we really owe this lot, the only team to score 3 in AK's management career.

He knows we need to get at them from the off, and score some bloody goals.

Would like to see Nsue back, I think if Vossen isn't back in time, Wildman will continue to be an attacking option from the bench.

Will hold off on my predicted XI.

0-2 in front of an amazing travelling army. UTB

iMHO AK could do worse that select two strikers for an extended run in the side. Starting with this game and with our difficult fixtures in March in mind. Our poor finishing could be a result of constant and often unnecessary rotation. The other alternative being that our strikers are not good enough at hitting the target.

Wednesday are crap at home. Either a 0-0 or a 2-0 Boro win.

I disagree, I think this is a 'banana skin' of a game... an absolute must win, but Wednesday are fairly good defensively and have some decent players. That said it is a game we must win. This and Millwall = 6 points simple as that and then we can see where we are when the big big games arrive.

Can't say I agree with AA either. Last season they were better all over the park.. Got two quick goals and closed the game down. They do seem to draw a few of their home games recently. So maybe there are under a bit of pressure to get a win, that may play to our advantage. This is by no means a easy game and I expect another war of attrition and a squeaky bum time for the final 15 mins. If and its a big IF, we can be more clinical we will come away with a hard fought but narrow victory

First ever away game so if we lose you'll all know who to blame :D

Could be a bad choice:

Boro have lost 5 of the last 6 games at Hillsborough

Sheff Wed have won 3 of the last 4 meetings against Boro and not lost.

Stats courtesy of opta.

Think Bambam will be up for this.

Can't say I agree with AA either. Last season they were better all over the park.. Got two quick goals and closed the game down. They do seem to draw a few of their home games recently. So maybe there are under a bit of pressure to get a win, that may play to our advantage. This is by no means a easy game and I expect another war of attrition and a squeaky bum time for the final 15 mins. If and its a big IF, we can be more clinical we will come away with a hard fought but narrow victory

Recent form table supports your comment:

http://www.footballformguide.net/form/sky-bet-championship