oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 2-2

o5cd1u.jpg

Friday, April 29th... St Andrew's... 7:45pm KO

Hamjambo!! Looks like MMC has had to bow out of this round so you've got the Beerslug doing this MDT for another game (and hopefully more!) With only two games left in the season, and three teams level at the top on 87 points, this really is going down to the last day! I'm excited, are you, sports fans? And so, on with the show...

The Form.

Middlesbrough go into this game on the back of two draws in a row, after taking solitary points from Ipswich and, before that, Burnley. Though goalless at the Riverside in the last game, the team made a fair few chances, and looked the more likely to score, with Ipswich fan Jordan Rhodes (three goals in his last two before the game) coming closest, hitting the post in the second half.

Last 6: Won 4, Drew 2. Scored 9, Conceded 3.

Birmingham have only won one of their last ten games (losing to both Burnley and Brighton recently) so it's safe to say this is as good a time as any to play them. They drew one apiece at Huddersfield in the last game, Cotterill grabbing their goal on 73 mins before Joel Lynch scored ten minutes later to quash the Brummies dreams.. Although, to be fair, Huddersfield dominated the game judging by the stats on BBC Sport.

Last 6: Won 1, Drew 2, Lost 3. Scored 8, Conceded 9.

The Opposition.

Birmingham currently sit in 9th in the league, with nothing to play for, which could be good for us. They were 66/1 for the league at the start of the season, which means bookies made them out to be surprise playoff contenders at best - So we could say they're about where they were expected to be, probably due to their good finish to the end of last season.

Gary Rowett has been in charge of the blues since October 2014, when he succeeded Lee Clarke after a poor start to the season. Rowett had previously led Burton to the League Two play offs for two years in a row. A month before his appointment at Brum, he rejected the chance to manage Blackpool, who only sat a single place below them in the league.

There are a few names Boro fans will recognise in the Birmingham squad. Diego Fabbrini is currently there having started the season on loan at ourselves, and has the ability to cause problems if he turns up. Jonathan Grounds also currently plays for the Midlands club, having worked his way through the youth system at Boro. Other players to watch out for are Jon Toral (on loan from ***nal) and N.Irish international striker Kyle Lafferty, on loan from Norwich. Their top scorer is currently Clayton Donaldson, with 11 goals.

Probable Line Up.

Quite possibly the easiest one to predict in all the matches I've done this season. We all know our strongest team, we all want to see that strongest team in action. No need or want for resting players now, AK.

zswped.jpg

The View From The Otherside.

If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, because I honestly struggled to find a fan forum that was still in use! They must have packed up for their summer holidays already.

Karanka-Talk!

[video=youtube]

Interesting Birmingham Facts.

1. Won their first trophy (the league cup) in 1963, beating local rivals Aston Villa in the final.

2. The most expensive player they ever bought was Emile Heskey of all people, for £6.25 million in 2004.

3. Birmingham has more parks than any other European city.

Other Noteworthy Fixtures.

Burnley v QPR (Mon)

Brighton v Derby County (Mon)

Talking Points.

1.How confident are you about promotion?

2.Do we think Karanka will change the team?

3.Is it an advantage or disadvantage playing before everyone else?

4.Score?

5.Who's your favourite Brummie?

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Great post OMG, well done for stepping in! Boro simply have to win this one, we know what we need to do and the lads will be well and truly fired up for this one - I haven't been this impatient for game in a long time (well, since last weekend!) and I'm sure they're chomping at the bit. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say 0-2 to the Boro, Rhodes & Adomah on the scoresheet. In answer to your q's...

1. Quietly confident, but don't want to tempt fate! Confidence will grow substantially if we win tomorrow - but I believe!

2. No I think you're spot on with your lineup and as I mentioned just now, everyone, AK included knows what needs to be done #clinical

3. I'd say an advantage - if we win there's gonna be some twitching from the other two, & if so I hope there's a surprise defeat for Burnleh - unfortunately I doubt it but one can hope!

4. 0-2 to the Mighty Boro

5. Has to be the late great Victoria Wood

COME ON BORO LETS DO THIS!!!!!

The only decision that might be up in the air is the striker. I agree with most that Rhodes will probably start, but I'd say there's a small chance that Nugent might get a run out. Rhodes played well against Ipswich, but his one big miss in particular might open the door for Nugent.

Any win will do. Going for 0-1. Ramirez

Totally agree an absolute Must Win game, I know a draw might be enough going into the final game but it would mean our last 3 games would be all draws and only 3 points and these draws have come at the wrong time and seemingly these runs are difficult to stop.

Another poor result ground to overcome, hey things seem to conspire but Friday night telly, AK's ability to quash hoodoo venues this season then nothing to worry about ............gulp!!

Players will know the significance of a win and even if it is not pretty I think we can pull off a win.

Mind you think we will need to score more than the solitary goal in fact the more scored the better.

THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON......................so far!!!!?

You bet it is and if the EG states this seldom used phrase then it must be so.

Ok will be at the game but I do wish Boro all the best for the game itself

Can't believe it's already the penultimate weekend of the season, where does the time go?!?!?!

I'd love to see us really go for it on Friday, 3 points would be monumental. As said on my 'Reasons to be optimistic' thread (if you haven't read it yet and you're still down after last Saturday, that thread is for you ;) ) a win would pile all the pressure back on the two B's.

The only change(s) I suspect we'll see is George for De Laet if he's fit and maybe Nugent for Rhodes? But personally I'd like to see Rhodes and Nugent both start with Nugent playing a wide forward role like he did at Bolton.

2-0 Boro Rhodes fgs.

Game Day (Eve)

COME ON BORO.

Would you drop Ramirez, Downing or Adomah to accommodate Nugent on the right KM?

That's the dilemma. If we drop Adomah we lose his pace and trickery, I wouldn't contemplate dropping Ramirez he's a match winner, Downing we know how good he can be when he's on song. I think if we're looking to play a high tempo game we need to start Nugent.

Would you drop Ramirez, Downing or Adomah to accommodate Nugent on the right KM?

That's the dilemma. If we drop Adomah we lose his pace and trickery, I wouldn't contemplate dropping Ramirez he's a match winner, Downing we know how good he can be when he's on song. I think if we're looking to play a high tempo game we need to start Nugent.

So what you're saying is drop Rhodes?