oneBoro Forum

Don't give up.......

I thought this deserved it's own thread......

Essuuaitch Wrote:

"might be an idea to have an alternative thread...lurking for somewhere to say goodbye.... this site is losing a hell of a lot of decent if not incessant posters (loathed to say clique but its getting that way).at a fair rate of knots. 

ive almost got to the point of giving up , should just maybe have a change of username to Tumbleweed."

BWS wrote:

Why do you think that is?"

The common opinion at the end of last season was that the forum would be much busier as a result of promotion, this season with interaction from fans of other sides, this hasn't happened at all and there seems to only be about 10 - 15 regular posters on here these days and about 8 of them are mods!

I've noticed that when people get banned for a couple of weeks, they rarely return, maybe the forum has lost it's edge as a result.

It could be down to the insipid team performances that we've seen of late, have people had enough of the team, this season?

I've noticed that there are very few non-football posts these days, there was a terrorist attack in London yesterday and no one has mentioned it, we used to have interesting discussions on current affairs and politics.

I've also noticed people recently, looking at the FMTTM discussion board and starting similar threads on here, just to try and get some debate going.

I think that one of the problems is that forum members are discouraged from starting new threads, very often if 2 similar ones are started, they are merged. I would say that, the less topics of conversation there are, the less people are likely to converse. In a similar way, people will post their thoughts on an upcoming match only to be told that they ought to wait until the match day thread is up.

I'm not having a go at the forum, or it's mods, but I agree with you, Essuuaitch, something ought to be done to encourage more traffic.

I've also noticed that new members join, but leave after a few posts, they don't seem to be lured in by the top banter and brilliant observations from the existing members, hard to believe, I know.

It would be a shame if you left too, Essuuaitch, we need all of the contributors that we can get!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Cliques? Come on there are no cliques on here. Granted some of the mainstay posters obviously know each other a bit hence the banter between them, but I really don't think there cliques in a negative way. Obviously there is a Will-Brunners-CT clique but they are relatives, so you can't really count that.

You are however right that there aren't so many discussions this season, but I think that is more down to the fact that there are fewer games and we never win so there aren't so many positives things to disguss. I was one who thought we might get more opposition fans on here but I suppose they are all so full of themselves up here and who wants to discuss with supporters of a small team that you'll likely beat anyway.

Maybe the happy days of frequent midweek fixtures and actual wins once we are back in the Championship will turn the tide.

On a personal note I don't mind matchday threads being posted before the "official" one. There is no need to wait for an author to come online a few days before the actual game if someone has something to say a week in advance.

For me the forum lost its edge a few years back with the Vectorboro/Mccormack saga. I always found the forum much better for the more mature poster with generally good balanced discussion and Vector I suppose was the epitome of that. 

Since that farce it seemed we got a new influx of fmttm cast offs/others (who became regulars and now the mainstay of the forum) and our more balanced posters posted far less or stopped posting at all.

I wouldn't say that there is a clique as such but there is certainly a core group who post more often and interact with each other more frequently. That's not a bad thing though, that's just the nature of forums.

What I dislike about the forum however, is that you sometimes get criticised for having your opinion. You'll either get belittled or shown why you cant possibly have a different opinion to someone else.

I've spoken to people who no longer use this forum, and their reasons are similar.

On the other hand, the over managing of the threads sometimes make it less enjoyable. For example, the London attack maybe wasn't mentioned as it's not 'football related' and would be shut down to avoid the racial tensions that a topic of its nature could potentially bring.

I always browse the forum on a daily basis, but I am reluctant to post due to the comments / choice of topic.

I'm with MBP on this one, you used to be able to have a decent debate on here, nowadays it seems every discussion​ ends up in insults etc. Etc. Hence why i barely post anymore, shame really as I used to really enjoy posting in here

I disagree on the cliques bit as there are some pretty obvious ones on here but I also think it is a lot like the end of the Mogga days when the site fell into 2 camps. This year has felt that way around Aitor and I genuinely feel that a fair few on here wanted him to fail after last year so the atmosphere has been pretty toxic at times.

Lets be honest it has also been a tough watch this year so that doesn't help as well

Unfortunately one of the downsides of the site in recent years has been the growth in the number of personal insults which has needed mods to step in far too often. Frankly I can find no excuse for the personal stuff and would happily see anyone banned for crossing that particular line.

Last gripe . Can we please get back to being allowed to just have an opinion without having to justify everything with a 10,000 word essay backed up by opta stats.

I disagree on the cliques bit as there are some pretty obvious ones on here but I also think it is a lot like the end of the Mogga days when the site fell into 2 camps. This year has felt that way around Aitor and I genuinely feel that a fair few on here wanted him to fail after last year so the atmosphere has been pretty toxic at times.

Lets be honest it has also been a tough watch this year so that doesn't help as well

Unfortunately one of the downsides of the site in recent years has been the growth in the number of personal insults which has needed mods to step in far too often. Frankly I can find no excuse for the personal stuff and would happily see anyone banned for crossing that particular line.

Last gripe . Can we please get back to being allowed to just have an opinion without having to justify everything with a 10,000 word essay backed up by opta stats.

Interesting Boro 86, because I've actually felt that the toxicity has come more from the pro-Karanka guys (and girls) on here.... who couldn't accept the manager being criticised (however justified).

I don't believe that anyone wanted Karanka to fail, because if he fails, the team more than likely fails. We're all Boro fans first and foremost.

What I dislike about the forum however, is that you sometimes get criticised for having your opinion. You'll either get belittled or shown why you cant possibly have a different opinion to someone else.

This is precisely why I banned myself from the forum for a week following the Palace game and haven't posted since. I put a block on OneBoro on my work PC using ColdTurkey for a week and felt much better for it. I have nearly posted again on one or two occasions, on the big issues, and honestly thought it's not worth the hassle of having an opinion on here sometimes.

It was in my power to walk away from it and I did. I never imagined doing so as I used to enjoy having a discussion on here, not any more. I'm pretty exclusively a lurker now and don't plan on changing that any time soon.

Wilson! I've been missing your posts.

I do agree that it would be nice to sometimes be able to hold an opinion without being shot down in flames or having to justify every last bit.

I didn't realise people took this place so seriously in all honesty.

Serious in what way? Everything I'd post I'd feel is worth of comment etc, else why would you be on here in the meantime?

At the end of the day we are all on here to support and talk about the boro. We have nice genuine moments when personal griviences come into it which grounds people and unites them again which makes the forum such a better place.

Other wise, it's just a shouting competition to see who's point will be heard the loudest.

I don't lose sleep over it, but it does deter me from commenting etc, which judging by the decreased numbers this season, seems to be the case for other people aswell.

i have major issues to deal with in real life so dont bother much now. nothing worse than coming on here an seeing petty arguments and tit for tat over a game. when you have real problems.

as for pro/against karanka. as much as we all wanted him to succeed, the signs were there at the start of last season, we have been far to negative a team for almost 2 years now. not surprised the players got sick of it.

I come on hear to procrastinate mostly. If i'm occupied or busy i don't bother. Sometimes i'm interested in what people have to say about different issues affecting the Boro so i'll pop on to see what the consensus is and have a quick debate.

I don't understand why people would leave or not post because someone shot down their opinion. To me there are more important things to worry about. Use the board, don't use it, whatever. It serves a purpose. Just don't get upset over it!

Fewer games is an issue. The football being pretty bad with poor results can't help much. The thing of discouraging new threads always has me baffled as it seems to limit new stuff. The other boro thread for example seems too generalised to me. It's basically anything other than match related stuff.

Maybe some new threads could encourage more chat? So a 'boro in the media' thread for any media related stuff. Anything in the Gazette linked to there, anything in other papers, radio, tv etc? Could have a boro nostalgia thread maybe for people to talk about past stuff, maybe when we have a game people could be talking about memories of previous games against them? Add some youtube vids if there are any, that kind of thing?

I'd probably have a designated manager thread and squad thread as well to discuss those kinds of things. So there would have been a thread to discuss Karanka rather than match day threads having the brunt of it. Same goes for squad issues. Some forums have threads for every player etc. I'm not sure if that's the way to go but a squad thread could certainly be handy. Probably other threads that could be added 'Boro news'? I don't know just some ideas off the top of my head.