oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Rochdale (Carabao Cup) 2-1 (Johnson, Hugill) PNE 3rd round tie (A)

After the ghosts of Tony's past were banished at the Riverside on Friday evening, we move back to the glorious cup of Sir Gareth. With the likes of Shotton currently re-fueling on oxygen, the gaffer is set to turn back to the kids and give them a run out.

350x350https://media.giphy.com/media/26uf0HTFqz6ZGUf6g/giphy.gif[/img]

Rochdale are the next team to travel to Boro and haven't started the season particularly well despite besting us in pre-season. 4 points from their opening 5 games has not been a particularly great haul for them but they managed to beat League Two Grimsby on their own soil in the last round, their only win since the opening day.

They seemed to play a 3-5-2 in their cup game and a 4-4-2 just yesterday and honestly, I'm leaving it to these 2 guys to figure out what kind of team to expect on Tuesday. I haven't got a clue.

350x350https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sq2AG0wrEXQgLGU/giphy.gif[/img]

It's fair to say manager Keith Hill knows Rochdale from top to bottom having spent approximately 15 years there as a player and manager in 3 different spells at the club from '96 to today. All I can say is he must have a very nice chair in that office of his.

350x350https://i.gifer.com/7cqH.gif[/img]

There are no real Boro connections in the Rochdale squad to speak of. The closest I came was Dael Fry but even he had to spell his name wrong (Roch'dael'). I was forced to ask who most of them are apart from Aaron Wilbraham. So here's Tom Baker because why not. Over and out.

350x350https://media.giphy.com/media/12tqwa244SMpSE/giphy.gif[/img]

The Second String

Lonergan

McNair Mahmutovic Fry McGinley Johnson

Wing Leadbitter Tavernier

Walker Hugill

Managed by Monty Burns

350x350http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzmcyb2SNn1qh59n0o1_500.gif[/img]

I wanna Roch and roll all night and party every Dale

Norman

Rafferty McNulty McGahey Perkins

Williams Camps Rathbone Done

Wilbraham Henderson

Managed by Homer Simpson

350x350http://i.imgur.com/02vRunl.gif[/img]

Questions?

Scores? Line-ups? Would you play any of the fringe players or just the kids?

How important is this game for morale? Will it have an effect on the Leeds game?

If we make it through, would you want another lower league opponent or, with the big boys joining at round 3, is it time for a real test?

Who else is much more excited about the Leeds game than this?  :funny:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Much more excited about this one, I love the cups and we always lose at Leeds.

I think we’ll see a mixture of youth and experience, but no one from Fridays starting 11.

Let’s get through this one then draw a decent team in the next round.

Believe we will put out a stronger team than the Notts County game and hopefully win in the 90 mins instead of going through penalties.

I know Rochdale have had a few bad results of late and do not see them causing many scares.

Could be as exciting as the Leeds game in terms of number of goals scored

I wonder if Ayala might start this one to get more minutes? Hope Hugill bangs in a couple, would be good for him to get off the mark as early as possible.

------------Lonergan

Mahmutovic McNair Fry Johnson

-----Wing--Leadbitter--Besic

Fletcher-----Hugill-----Tavernier

A team like that should be good enough for a win I think.

GK - Lonergan

RB - Mahmutovic

CB - McNair

CB - Fry

LB - McGinley

DM - Leadbitter

CM - Wing

CM - Besic

RW - Fletcher

ST - Hugill

LW - Tavernier

1-1 - Boro on pens

Love the cup games when the kids are given a chance; also offers opportunities to add some names into the hat for the league games.

Nervous about the Leeds one... Just looking forward to seeing how the kids fare against Rochdale.

GK - Lonergan

RB - Mahmutovic

CB - McNair

CB - Fry

LB - McGinley

DM - Leadbitter

CM - Wing

CM - Besic

RW - Fletcher

ST - Hugill

LW - Tavernier

2-1 Boro AET.

Love the cup games when the kids are given a chance; also offers opportunities to add some names into the hat for the league games.

Nervous about the Leeds one... Just looking forward to seeing how the kids fare against Rochdale.

No extra time mate, straight to penalties.

U23s are playing tonight, team-sheet has just come out and from those who played in the last round of the cup they're missing:

Wood

McGinley

Spence

Mahmutovic

Walker

Tyrone O'Neill and Patrick Reading, who were on the bench for the Notts County game, start at Stoke tonight so I'd expect them to miss out from the 18 this time.

I'm unaware of the status of some of the players as some of them may be out for injuries but they're also missing these from their last U23s game:

Zach Hemming (GK)

Nathan Guru (CB)

Bilal Brahimi (FW)

Wholesale changes for sure confirmed by a really weak U23 line up and bench we just announced for tonights game a*** those missing completely McGinley, Spence, Mahmutovic, Brahimi and Walker.

I'm genuinely fine with fielding the team it looks like we're going to field the cups at this point mean very little to me except as a showcase for our young players and a run out for McNair.

So a potential line-up tomorrow night based on this possibly irrelevant information:

Hemming

Spence Mahmutovic Wood Guru McGinley

Wing De Sart Tavernier

Walker Brahimi

It's not going to happen, really. We might come close to it but I suspect there'll be space made for Hugill, Leadbitter, McNair, Johnson and Fletcher (last two depending on any transfer movement).

Not so sure on Ayala to be honest. Given his habit of finding himself injured out of nothing, this feels a bit of a risky game to play him. Not just that the cup is clearly secondary right now but we've got Leeds on Friday which is quite a big early-season tie and he just got a full 90 in the West Brom game. I think it's more likely we'll play Fry (though of course it could be both).

Im hoping we see Fletcher and Hugill start upfront together. Fletcher was our best player against Notts County IMO. He looks physically stronger to me, Hugill explains itself, he needs minutes under his belt.

I personally hope we field a stronger team than last round.

Lonergan

Mahmutovic--Fry/Ayala--Wood

Mcnair-Besic-Leadbitter-Tav-Johnson

Fletcher--Hugill

I'd happy with something like that.

Still involes a few academy lads, gets minutes into the first team players who need it, and should be strong enough to win by a couple of goals. 45 mins for Hugill, Walker to come on and get some more minutes. Spence to come on for Besic and move Mcnair back inside.

Probs be miles away from the team, but like I said, thats something id be very happy with.