oneBoro Forum

Boro v Rotherham United 0-0

MV5BM2EyZDc4MzktNmRlMy00M2UwLWExM2EtZmMwNDMzYzUxNmQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Intentional or not, Hollywood did a bang up job of summarising the inhabitants of Rotherham, albeit with more teeth....

Middlesbrough v Rotherham United

Tuesday, October 23rd - 1945 Hours

Riverside Stadium

The Form

Get in there, nothing like 3 points to start a weekend! Top of the league! 

The discussion about Pulis-ball and exciting v effective football raged on in the Sheffield Wednesday match thread and it shows no signs of subsiding just yet. To appease some of Tony Pulis' most ardent critics will take a lot more than a half of football, but it's a start. 

That first half wasn't great but two goals in 5 minutes from Besic and Assombalonga gave the fans something to cheer for, even if Adam Reach scored another beauty in the last 10 mins to give us a bit of a nervy finish - and a goalmouth game of "pile on". I said it before the Wednesday game and I'll say it again, what I'd give to have Reach back in this team. I think he'd be superb in that LWB position. 

Fun Fact: Boro are now the only team to concede single figures in the Championship this season....

With the games coming thick and fast it now gives us time to get into a rhythm and start pulling away at the top of the Championship, starting at.....

-----------------------

Rotherham haven't had the best of times lately, with 3 defeats and 3 draws in their last 6 games. Their last win came against Frank Lampard's Derby over a month ago - who happen to be Boro's next opponents. 

Sitting in 20th in the league with 12 points from 13 games, they've conceded 20 goals and scored two shy of a dozen so far this campaign. Their joint top scorers in all competitions are Jamie Proctor and Will Vaulks (3 apiece!!!), although Proctor has done it in considerably fewer minutes - 307 to 1215. To be completely honest I have no idea if he's usually a main starter, a super sub or if he just plays the cup games, but a quick google tells me he has been out for a few weeks with a groin injury recently. He did make the subs bench today against Bolton, so he must be getting better. Ryan Manning is just behind them with two goals to his name.

holy_grail_got_better.jpg

Jamie Proctor, surrounded by Rotherham United Fans

The Line Up

Do we stay unchanged? Were some of the team left out of the fold as they weren't back in time or weren't fully fit after international duty? Will Pulis change back to the formation we were using before the international break? 

I certainly hope not.

We suit the 5-3-2 much more effectively than 4 at the back, and though Tony P went with a 5-2-2-1 formation I believe this is only because Braithwaite wasn't back in time to train properly with the team, since he only flew back Wednesday. Besic looked like he wasn't fully fit, and Shotton looked a bit knackered too so we may see McNair fill in at RWB. Of course, Downing takes Mo's place because he has to be shoehorned in somewhere:

1znoi6c.png

The World According To Pulis

TP on Sheffield Wednesday:

“It’d have been really disappointing if we’d have thrown away two points tonight because we were by far the better team.”

"I felt we played really well. I thought for 77 minutes we controlled the game really well. They’ve been on a great run of form Sheffield Wednesday."

"They’ve got some fantastic players and a deep squad. They’ve got good players at this club. To come here and win that way was very good.”

TP on Rotherham:

"I watched them on Saturday after our game on Friday night and they’re a good side"

“They’re very, very hard working and very honest and if were not on it we’ll get a shock."

“The important thing is the players have to understand they have to match Rotherham in every shape and form."

“They are well coached and have a system they play well. We have to turn up.”

"It is the first of three home games in a row but this is the most important one because it’s the next one"

It’s the same amount of points for Rotherham as it would be if you play Leeds or one of the top teams."

"So we have to focus. We have turn up. There can’t be any complacency whatsoever.”

To Me, To You

So this is from a few years ago, and much has changed since then (the stadium is finished for one!), but in memoriam of the late, great Barry Chuckle I found this clip from Late Kick Off featuring the Brothers Grinn (you have no idea how chuffed I am with that one) talking about their beloved Rotherham United:

How The Other Half Live

Rotherham's fan forum can be found

HERE, however with them playing Bolton today it may take them a day or so to put up the next match thread.

Manager Paul Warne:

[align=left]

"Going into the game it's a pity we didn't win (against Bolton) because it's sort of like a free hit,"

"I don't think many people will put us down on their coupon away at Middlesbrough. That suits us. I don't mind being the underdog, I have no shame in that."

"I can shuffle the pack and be competitive and hopefully the lads can get the points our performances deserve away from home."

"They are strong in most areas,"

"We'll watch some more footage today, then we'll pick our team. We all watched their game last week, we have seen their strengths and we know that it will be tough."

[/align]

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Good OP

I think Shotton must be a bit knackered after all the kicks and pushes he was at the wrong end of.

I would play a strong team, but try some other players, as we should beat Rotherham at home with any 11, even including 3 goalkeepers starting.

Randz

Ayala, Flint, Fry

Mc'Nair ----------- Downing

Saville, Besic, Wing

Brait

Britt

Rest a few, play some new, play as sweet as Mountain Dew!

UTB

I'd play mostly the same team, I'd like to see Mcnair in for Shotton as he was struggling with a knock. The other change I'd like to see is Braithwaite for Friend and drop Downing to LWB but that won't happen with Friend seemingly untouchable regardless of his performance levels or suitability of the role.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Saville come in for Fry and Friend moved inside and Saville behind Britt either, hopefully not though.

I think Shotton played really well against Sheffield, but he's still got limitations going forward. Would like to see more of McNair, and to keep 3 at the back.

I can see Saville replacing Besic in the lineup as Besic has played a lot of games. I'd probably only make one or two changes, but it's difficult to say who to drop...

Going for a 1-0 win in this one. UTB!

I'd play mostly the same team, I'd like to see Mcnair in for Shotton as he was struggling with a knock. The other change I'd like to see is Braithwaite for Friend and drop Downing to LWB but that won't happen with Friend seemingly untouchable regardless of his performance levels or suitability of the role.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Saville come in for Fry and Friend moved inside and Saville behind Britt either, hopefully not though.

If he puts Downing on the left instead of Friend, it will mean he moves in Friend and move out Fry to the bench......

Incredible results for us going into this game. Earned our victory and luckily nobody capitalised on the chance to retake top spot ahead of us. Still very early days but it's ours to lose before next weekend.

Tony loathes to change his defenders, especially his trusty full backs (they’re definitely not wing backs - they’re barely full backs!).

So even if Shotton is partially crocked, Tony will want his defensive physicality. He obviously doesn’t trust McNair in that role.

Braithwaite in for Besic, who’s run himself into the ground.

It’s got to be this lineup, hasn’t it?

---------------- Randolph ----------------

---------- Ayala -- Flint --- Fry -----------

-- Shotton ---------------------- Friend --

------------------ Clayton ---------------

-------- Howson ----- Downing --------

---- Assombalonga -- Braithwaite ----

I don't see why McNair deserves a start ahead of Shotton right now? He whips in one decent cross as a sub and suddenly all Shotton's good performances are forgotten? He's not the best wing back in the world but by and large he's delivered the goods and certainly his pressing of the ball in the Wednesday game didn't liken him to a centre back or a full back, he was absolutely doing the job of a wing back, as was Friend.

I don't see why McNair deserves a start ahead of Shotton right now? He whips in one decent cross as a sub and suddenly all Shotton's good performances are forgotten? He's not the best wing back in the world but by and large he's delivered the goods and certainly his pressing of the ball in the Wednesday game didn't liken him to a centre back or a full back, he was absolutely doing the job of a wing back, as was Friend.

Yeah i agree with that, i actually think Shotton has looked the better out of the two wing backs this season.

I wonder whether we could play Downing as an attacking left wing back in a game like this and get Braithwiate back into the team.

*Just noticed someone else has already suggested this.

Well done OMG terrific OP mate!

Well yesterday seemed that the league teams decided to do Boro a favour or two, three, four as we were the only top 6 team to win, so thank you one and all.

Now we need to do ourselves a favour and dispatch Rotherham for as many as we can as goal difference would seem to be an important factor moving ahead.

But they will be tricky so I hope we go for an opening goal asap but we should not be too wary of them as we are a better team.

Who will be rested for this? hard to say but I do hope that we could see some of the fringe players at least in the squad come match day.

To me a "must win" game, anything else will be very disappointing

Team I would like to see start this one:

——————Randolph——————

———Ayala——Flint——Fry———

Shotton—————————Downing

——————Clayton——————

————Howson——Besic————

—————Braithwaite——————

————Assombalonga——————

In my opinion Downing’s best performance (and probably ours as a team) this season was against Sheffield Utd when he played left wing back. Friend in my opinion was our worst player against Wednesday. Rest of the team more or less picks itself. Fry and Besic were both fantastic against Sheff Wed so as long as Besic’s fitness is okay, they both keep their places. Shotton was also impressive against Wednesday so keeps his place ahead of McNair. Assombalonga is by far our best striker so must start. And bring in Braithwaite for that extra creative spark that we will need at home to a team who will, more than likely, set up for a point.

——————Randolph——————

———Ayala——Flint——Fry———

Shotton—————————Downing

——————Clayton——————

————Howson——Besic————

—————Braithwaite——————

————Assombalonga——————

In my opinion Downing’s best performance (and probably ours as a team) this season was against Sheffield Utd when he played left wing back. Friend in my opinion was our worst player against Wednesday. Rest of the team more or less picks itself. Fry and Besic were both fantastic against Sheff Wed so as long as Besic’s fitness is okay, they both keep their places. Shotton was also impressive against Wednesday so keeps his place ahead of McNair. Assombalonga is by far our best striker so must start. And bring in Braithwaite for that extra creative spark that we will need at home to a team who will, more than likely, set up for a point.

Agree with all that, I'm never gonna be Britt's biggest fan and he frustrates the hell out of me at times but he's still our best striker by some way.

Think we need Braithwaite back against a team that will probably set up to defend and Downing at LWB gives us a slightly more attacking line up.

Saying all that I can see Pulis putting an unchanged team out.

——————Randolph——————

———Ayala——Flint——Fry———

Shotton—————————Downing

——————Clayton——————

————Howson——Besic————

—————Braithwaite——————

————Assombalonga——————

Agree with all that, I'm never gonna be Britt's biggest fan and he frustrates the hell out of me at times but he's still our best striker by some way.

Think we need Braithwaite back against a team that will probably set up to defend and Downing at LWB gives us a slightly more attacking line up.

Saying all that I can see Pulis putting an unchanged team out.

Agree with both of you especially about the Braithwaite part because of how Rotherham will likely set up. Would also like to see Downing at left wing back.

I expect pulis to drop Fry for Braithwaite though and go back to 4-3-3.

I put McNair in as Shotton looked to be carrying a knock at the end of Sheff Wednesday, and I didn't think he'd be fit in time. Obviously I think Shotton will be starting if fit