oneBoro Forum

Boro V Brentford (A) 2-1 (Hugill, Tavernier)

Finally this stop start routine of the season comes to an end with no more International breaks due until next year and we can at last concentrate and look forward to regular services being resumed especially with the importance of going into the New Year and what position we will be in come the January transfer window.

So next up for the Boro is:

Brentford V Middlesbrough

Griffin Park

Saturday 24th November with a kick off at 1730hrs. Sky Live Main event.

Introduction

Currently 2nd spot takes on 15th spot but we know from experience that league positions especially at this time of the year mean diddly squat and you can never know for certain what to expect from Boro until we see the game unfold.

Our current form is LWDDDW, 9 points from a possible 18, we have seen an upturn of late in performance levels and team commitment and simply this has to continue.

Brentford, those pesky Bees, are one on those teams you just never know what to expect because on their day they play delightful football with bags of pace and energy and are bloody hard to beat.

However their current form is DLLLWL, 4 points from a possible 18 which confirms my observations and comments about them.

After playing us at their gaff their next 2 games are Sheffield United at home and WBA away so they really are against it and the fans might not beehive if Thomas Frank does not start producing good results.

Last time out

Saw a 1-1 draw with Adama Traore scoring his last professional goal for Boro, watched by at least Will and I on a freezing March day.

What will/should Tony do?

I hope that he sees this as a good opportunity to get a valuable 3 points away from home and to try and stick as close as possible to the same team that beat Wigan, barring injuries. Also hope to see Wing, Tavernier and Fletcher being available for the game as I believe that this will be a fairly open game and one where we could do ourselves a great favour in trying to get the opening goal.

Injury News

Not sure if there are additional injury concerns apart from the Shotton and McQueen absentees.

Other games of interest

With WBA playing Ipswich on Friday evening the other games of interest are:

Rotherham V Sheffield United (1230 ko live on Sky)

Swansea V Norwich

Sheffield Wednesday V Derby

Hull V Forest

Leeds V Bristol City

Aston Villa V Birmingham (Sunday Sky live game)

A view from Downsouth

This has the hall marks of being a very important game for both teams an whilst it is not in the TMIGOTS.....so far category, due to the results which we will know about before kick off then certainly at a bare minimum it will fall into a "must not lose" bracket and if other results are favourable then maybe a "must win" situation(besides I get to do another thread if we win)

A special request

Last time out and even with a home win we had the lowest posted match day thread in a very long time so please if you are able to contribute to this thread as we are looking ok as a team and worthy of a optimistic following as every point is now beginning to count.

Those members who have recently indicated their intent not to post anymore due to negativity on the forum please reconsider as you are missed enormously and your input is relevant and valuable. I won't name names as those of us still active are aware of just who is missing, heck I had to do a match day thread because of this and hoping to be as successful as that person i replaced.

This is our forum and has been for so long, friendships have been made because of it so can we try and reclaim it and respect others opinions without being so picky and spiteful at times.

Thanks and hey COME ON BORO!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's goign to be a really tough game and hopefully we will come back stronger from the break than previously. Brentford are a difficult team to predict with some very good attackers in Maupay and Watkins. Our defenders need to be at their best to deal with them. I haven't got much faith in their Danish coach though. He's always talking about a "process" but nothing ever really happens with him in charge. Good coach but I think he is lacking a lot when it comes to management. I really can't see him surprising or getting the better of Pulis.

I'm a bit undecided about the lineup. Away from home and with Flint, Ayala, Batth and Fry all fit I can see Pulis playing three at the back and McNair at wingback. However, I'd like us continue with the 4-3-3, and tell Braithwaite to get close to Hugill.

-----------Randolph-----------

Fry---Batth----Flint---Friend

---Besic-Clayton-Howson---

Downing-Hugill-Braithwaite

Boro to win 1-0. Hugill to get another goal after finally getting his first league goals in the last game.

Last time out

Saw a 1-1 draw with Adama Traore scoring his last professional goal for Boro, watched by at least Will and I on a freezing March day.

I'm pretty sure this was the coldest match I've ever been to, I couldn't feel anything!

I’m going to this game and am always optimistic for a good result. This is the game where the belief will return to those that lost it. I’m predicting a score line that will be repeated throughout the remainder of the season 2-0 to the Boro.

I think after all the forecasts of who will get to start the match day threads 10 times in a row that it is only fitting that the honour should fall to you DS.

Did anyone catch Pulis' press conference?

Even though it's on television I have a christmas lunch with all our neighbours tomorrow so I likely won't be a able to see it unless we finish early enough. Shame as I think it's going to be a decent game. Brentford won't hide, and their manager certainly isn't good enough for them to play for a point. They will want to score and that is going to give us chances. Hopefully we will put away the first one.

Boro have taken full allocation of tickets so will be a good atmosphere, rather wish I had decided to go but Griffin Park is no fun when trying to get to the toilets!

I think it will be a good game for all including neutrals and getting first goal especially for Boro will be ideal as we could go top of the table or at least maintain current position.

We are second in the league time to get excited at least about that.

We should be winning this, Brentford haven't been themselves lately and we are playing well but seem to lack that cutting edge at times. I'd like to see Wing start this one. He played well in the cup game and has been getting time off the bench since but hopefully we can get at them from the start, especially in their ground. A solid 2-0 win for the Boro.

I'd like to see Pulis start the following team:

Randolph

Mcnair Fly Flint Ayala Friend

Howson Besic Wing

Braithwaite

Assombalonga

I have to be honest I can't see this happening. I prefer the 5 at the back but with Shotton out, McNair is our only reasonable replacement. It was also tough to decide which of Clayton or Besic to take out of the team for Wing but while I feel Clayton is better at defending, Besic has that bit more quality overall.

Elsewhere, you'd imagine the Baggies will win at Ipswich tonight to put them level on points with us and Sheff United should win at Rotherham, but Norwich don't have an easy game away to Swansea and Leeds v Bristol City is too close to call for me. Derby could also go level on points but Sheffield Wednesday may just surprise them, I feel.

Hoping for a repeat of the Wigan game and we get back to grinding out some solid wins. Brentford are on a bit of a sorry run so keep them quiet early doors and make it a difficult afternoon. Predicting 2-0 Boro - Hugill & Braithwaite.

Going to this one and looking forward to it, we're sold out and it should be a good atmosphere. Last visit to Griffin Park too as I believe they're moving next year.

I must say I am quietly excited with our season so far. Best Defensive record in the FL has us second. We look well drilled and once we start sorting out the final third we could be in line to pull clear of the pack.

Leeds are starting to show signs of the historical Bielsa Fatigue Syndrome, along with a well timed goalkeeping crisis their 2nd half of the season is starting to show promise. Then again talks about Tom Heaton signing on an emergency and rumors linking Jan targets like Llorente are worrying if true. 

Sheffield Utd and West Brom are starting to normalize their inconsistencies with their recent run of form, long may that continue. And also hold to serve as an example to the rest of the promotion pack to emulate.

Hopefully the positive vibes from coming from TP on Braithwaite in training and his(MB) recent show of commitment leads to some assists and goals in the coming weeks.  If he can match his early season form we'd have an in house solution to our recent attacking problems.

Brentford should be interesting viewing on Sat, Their counter-pressing possession style at home could play into our hands, then again TP will be looking to stifle their attacking threat early on, and we could get good counter attacking opportunities. 

I'd take a one nil but would mind a 2-1 neither 3 points the charm :).

We should be winning this, Brentford haven't been themselves lately and we are playing well but seem to lack that cutting edge at times. I'd like to see Wing start this one. He played well in the cup game and has been getting time off the bench since but hopefully we can get at them from the start, especially in their ground. A solid 2-0 win for the Boro.

Randolph

Howson Besic Wing

Braithwaite

Assombalonga

I have to be honest I can't see this happening. I prefer the 5 at the back but with Shotton out, McNair is our only reasonable replacement. It was also tough to decide which of Clayton or Besic to take out of the team for Wing but while I feel Clayton is better at defending, Besic has that bit more quality overall.

Elsewhere, you'd imagine the Baggies will win at Ipswich tonight to put them level on points with us and Sheff United should win at Rotherham, but Norwich don't have an easy game away to Swansea and Leeds v Bristol City is too close to call for me. Derby could also go level on points but Sheffield Wednesday may just surprise them, I feel.

Iv'e been one of Hugills biggest critics but I don't think this is the time to drop him. He scored two goals in our last outing and had a good game. His second goal was brilliant. Fry has also been decent at RB and has earned some praise from Pulis for that. I think we need that extra body in midfield so I'd go with the 4-3-3 that saw us beat Wigan so comfortably.

Plenty of interesting games this weekend.

I seen wing won both the player of the round and the goal of the round in the last cup game.

I know people will say that he seems to gets better the more he doesn't play and there is an element of truth about that, But the reality is what on earth more could he do with his limited minutes to earn a start over howson, saville and besic?

Randolph

Howson Besic Wing

Braithwaite

Assombalonga

Iv'e been one of Hugills biggest critics but I don't think this is the time to drop him. He scored two goals in our last outing and had a good game. His second goal was brilliant. Fry has also been decent at RB and has earned some praise from Pulis for that. I think we need that extra body in midfield so I'd go with the 4-3-3 that saw us beat Wigan so comfortably.

Plenty of interesting games this weekend.

You could almost see the confidence flowing through him after the penalty. No way he's smashing that volley home without scoring the pen before - I don't think so anyway. Reckon he'll come good for us over the next few.