Boro v Aston Villa 0-3

Think there's any way of us being able to pull out of the Saville deal?
It's funny really for how much grief Monk got for poor signings and wasting money Pulis has been equally bad if not worse.

I'd love us to go and get Jokanovic. Ticks all the boxes for me.
We've failed in the market under the last 3 managers so let's not put it all down to Pulis.

The constant(s) during that period is the chairman and recruitment team.

You could make a list of the completely ridiculous decisions we've made off the pitch.

Who thought it was a good idea to sign Gestede, Bamford and Guedioura when we needed creative players to stay in the Premier league?

Who thought it was a good idea to appoint Agnew and basically surrender our premier league status?

Who thought it was a good idea to appoint Monk when he looked completely out of his depth from day one?

Who decided it was a good idea to blow a fortune on Britt and Fletcher when we had a couple of Championship strikers at the club?

Who decided it was a good idea to sell Bamford when he was clearly our best striker at the club?

Who decided to start this season with no recognised right back?

Can no one at the club see George Friend is completely shot? We could all see it a year ago, why have we not addressed this?

Who thought it was a good idea to bring in McNair, Saville and Besic? We didn't need all three.

Why have we failed to add pace and creativity? It's been two years now not one window.

People call Gibson the best chairman in football, pound for pound I can't think of many who have performed worse in the last couple of years.
(02-12-2018, 01:48 PM)Duvel Wrote: We've failed in the market under the last 3 managers so let's not put it all down to Pulis.

The constant(s) during that period is the chairman and recruitment team.

You could make a list of the completely ridiculous decisions we've made off the pitch.

Who thought it was a good idea to sign Gestede, Bamford and Guedioura when we needed creative players to stay in the Premier league?

Who thought it was a good idea to appoint Agnew and basically surrender our premier league status?

Who thought it was a good idea to appoint Monk when he looked completely out of his depth from day one?

Who decided it was a good idea to blow a fortune on Britt and Fletcher when we had a couple of Championship strikers at the club?

Who decided it was a good idea to sell Bamford when he was clearly our best striker at the club?

Who decided to start this season with no recognised right back?

Can no one at the club see George Friend is completely shot? We could all see it a year ago, why have we not addressed this?

Who thought it was a good idea to bring in McNair, Saville and Besic? We didn't need all three.

Why have we failed to add pace and creativity? It's been two years now not one window.

People call Gibson the best chairman in football, pound for pound I can't think of many who have performed worse in the last couple of years.

I don’t think Gibson hand picks our transfer targets, the manager at the time will let him know what or who he needs and Gibbo will release the cash if it’s available. It’s not really the chairman’s fault, if anything he ought to be praised for backing his managers.

Gibbo is a fan like all of us, opinions amongst us differ massively when we are linked with s player. For instance, I wasn’t keen on Rhodes or Britt, others were, I preferred Kike and Stuani, but the latter often get booed off the pitch and Kike was sold.

If we had a chairman that wasn’t prepared to put his hand in his pocket, then sure, have a go at him, but he’s backed the last 3 managers in the transfer market.

We were warned about the type of team that Pulis would assemble, he’s acting true to form.

Blame Gibbo for sacking AK and appointing Agnew by all means. Blame him for appointing Monk, although to be fair he rectified that error pretty quickly.
A Proud member of the increasingly popular, Pro-Stuani OneBoro Clique
Sadly, I have to agree that Gibson has not been great for the club recently. I’d also add the unwillingness to take on a manager who is already under contract or do deals with agents as specific failings (however noble) that have restricted our ability to sign players. However it is worth remembering that it could be much worse, and the countless clubs with worse owners, see Blackpool, Blackburn, etc. Darlington got taken under by an owner who promised the world and turned out to be a crook. So, I don’t want Gibson to leave, but I do think it is time for him to appoint someone to run the club properly (not Bausor) and announce he will take a back seat. I do also think that there are investment groups that could be persuaded to take a stake in the club, which may inject some funds in the short term - we are not an unattractive bet at the moment as we are not that far from the richest league in the world.
Of course it could be miles worse , I'm not saying he's the worst chairman in football I said pound for pound not many clubs have performed as badly considering how much money they've spent. The only club that springs to mind are Villa but they look like they've got a better manager and squad in place than us.

I know Gibson doesn't buy and sell players but he puts in place the team that do. Eventually he's got to take some flack. It's the old saying in football that managers get the sack for not getting results but the chairman who appoint these men don't have to answer to anyone.

We know the biggest problem at the club is that we recruit badly but some of the people making decisions on who we scout and sign are still at the club. Gibson is the only person with the power to change that.
Has Pulis ever been great in the transfer market?
Off the top of my head I can't think of any hidden gems he found that went on to make huge money for his club ala Kante.

The club definitely needs looked at aswell. Although I'd say it's only in the last few years (since promotion) I'd say we've been bad. We picked up some good bargains in Mowbrays/Karankas early days.
Maybe it's time for a manager's thread and a player's thread so those things can be discussed away from the matchday thread? The Other Boro thread is too generalised. These are things that people want to talk about throughout a season, they should have their own thread.