oneBoro Forum

Boro V Newport County - FA Cup 4th Round Replay (a) 0-2

EnthusiasmMeter.jpg

Well, here's a matchday thread I didn't think I'd be doing.

After the despondency of transfer deadline day, an entertaining, see-sawing five-goaler at the Hawthorns saw Boro get yet another win on their travels and move them up to level points with their opponents in an increasingly claustrophobic Championship top 6. The result seems to have buoyed many fans feeling deflated after the transfer window. 

We now have a second crack at beating League 2 Newport County, who had a result to forget away at Grimsby this weekend, a 3-0 defeat which saw the Mariners leapfrog them in the table.

The fates, Matty Dolan and some awful defending intervened to send Tony Pulis home to south Wales, but that is not the only talking point for this one:

How strong a team do we put out for the replay?

Is more embarrassing to narrowly lose away at Newport, or to get absolutely shafted at home by Man City? 

Why are we so much better away from home?

On a scale of 1-10, how is your enthusiasm for the Boro at this moment?   

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Making the long trip for this one just because it’s another ground to cross off the list... I really don’t see us being ultra strong team wise... perhaps give game time to Clayts Fletch Rudy Dimi VLP , due to lack of defenders I sense the back 4 or 5 will stay as they are. Mikel rested ready for Leeds. I think Newport will be bang up for it... another team where the cup run is overtaking league form. Anyone travelling down from here?

Originally I said I hoped we'd lose as City will thrash us, but following on from yesterday's win, IF we have turned a corner and Man City play a somewhat weakened team, we may do alright.

That said I think a home tie with City will be huge motivation for them and they'll narrowly beat us 2-1.

Like to see Britt and Hugill start so they can build a partners also give VLP & Mikel a hour together for time on the legs. We’ll beat these this time

We simply must win this game it would be embarrassing to be knocked out twice by lower league opposition in both cups unless the players really do not fancy a game against Manchester City.

Going to be tight and perhaps a little bit feisty but hopefully we will field the freshest and fastest team we can though I should imagine Clayton will play.

I wonder if the team left WBA on Saturday and went straight to Celtic Manor in preparation for this game?

Really we don’t make the same mistake twice In a row. Get at them and score a few goals quick to shore up and see the game out without being threatened. Can’t go into the last 10 mins again without having a decent cushion.

Personally it’s a distraction we could well do without. I would be inclined to let them have it and let them make some money out of the next round. Anyone believing they have a chance against M City are taking some powerful illegal substance.

Pulis and his ego are returning to his home town.

He'll sod the 1:00pm kick off with Leeds on Saturday and will put the strongest team he can out.

Possibly only 1-2 changes in midfield with Howson and Clayton coming in.

We simply must win this game it would be embarrassing to be knocked out twice by lower league opposition in both cups unless the players really do not fancy a game against Manchester City.

Going to be tight and perhaps a little bit feisty but hopefully we will field the freshest and fastest team we can though I should imagine Clayton will play.

I wonder if the team left WBA on Saturday and went straight to Celtic Manor in preparation for this game?

Publis said they were flying there and back same day

Publis said they were flying there and back same day

I don't believe him, that would cost way too much, I reckon he's hired a mini bus :upside_down:

I believe he will go for:

Dimi

McNair  Ayala     Fry      Wood   Downing

Clayton

Howson             Savillie           Fletcher

Britt/Gestede

I think, given that Downing can't start in the league, he's nailed on to start any cup games.